Who is responsible for what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Newbie here.... Only 15 dives after my OW check-out dives.

I've been reading Scubaboard since I got certified last October. I guess I was lucky, my instructors made it clear that any diver can call a dive for any reason.

I want to thank all of the experienced divers here who try to remind us "Fresh Fish" that when it comes right down to it we are each solely responsible for our own safety.

I like to concept of always considering yourself a Solo Diver even in a group and buddied-up.

I have learned a lot form this board...

i agree with jupiter 100%
and I stress the anyone can abort any dive at any time for any reason to all of my students
especially parents with kids learning to dive,
kids esp need to know that if something does not feel right they have the power to stop the dive until it is right, without being afraid of letting down mom or dad
and more importantly mom and dad need to learn to respect the kids and not pressure them.
It is easier than preforming a rescue on your loved ones

Great post! I disagree on one minor point.

JimLap:
Up until I recieved my c card it is true that the instructor was responsible for my safety....It is my contention that once a diver is certified he/she is responsible for their own safety.

Each of us is always responsible for our own safety. While in a class, that responsibility is shared with the instructor, but we never give up our own responsibility.

One of the best posts I've seen. My teenagers and I were products of a weekend certification course, and it wasn't until I began working as a DM that I really saw how training should be done. As much as I wanted that cert (patience isn't my strong suit...) we would have been better served by a longer course, with more indepth classroom work and more pool time. Skills were easy for all of us, and there were no anxiety issues. My daughter plans to expand her college videography studies to focus on underwater film, and my son enjoys diving with me (loves hiking more, sad to say). Fortunately for us, there were no safety issues, no panic, no ego that would push us to dive beyond our capabilities in the early days. But I have seen those problems in others I have been around, and it is a huge concern.

I don't want to see recreational diving limited to those who can do pushups with tanks on their backs and formulate their own dive tables. It's wonderful that the sport is now open to such a wide range of people. Among other things, it spreads the word about ocean conservation as new divers see what it is they are being asked to save. There's nothing wrong with being a "vacation diver" who likes to add dives to a yearly trip, and doesn't do much the rest of the year. But even those divers need more serious training than they are currently getting, and it has led to accidents and deaths that are tragic and unneccessary.

I don't have all the answers, but it seems that as a community who shares a passion for the beauty of the underwater world, we owe it to those who want to join in this passion the commitment to provide them with good training, a high awareness of the reality of ignoring safety rules, and dive ops who are committed to providing quality opportunities to enjoy the sport. Yes, certified divers are responsible for their own safety. No, we don't need heavy regulation that requires a lockstep approach to what you may and may not do after "x"# of dives, with scuba police to enforce the rules. We do need more emphasis on honesty and reality during the training phase that gives newly certified divers the tools to make smart decisions. Want to continue your training, dive as often as possible, learn everything you can? Great; this is how to go about it. Only want to dive on vacation? Great, these are the things you need to consider when booking your trip, and these are the limitations you need to understand. And never forget who is responsible for your safety, even if you hire a dive guide: you are. If you aren't comfortable with this, maybe diving isn't for you.

It's hard to consider telling a potential customer that he/she may not be suited for the sport, especially in this economy, with so many shops out of business or barely hanging on. And the equipment has changed so much, making diving more accessible to the average person. But bad press is a huge financial black mark (for those who are driven by the bottom line), and accidents and deaths always get bad press.

I've wanted to dive for ages, and wish I hadn't waited so long to learn. I love this sport, and won't stop until I no longer have the strength to lift my tanks. But I want it to be a sport where safety and personal responsibility take precedence over profit.

I also want to thank you for your post. I am not yet certified, but have done the pool classes, and will be certified in a months time. my instructor was great in telling us that its always SAFETY first. He is a strong believer in this and its what he put in our heads, and if we dont feel right about a dive, call it, there will always be other dives.

I am heading to FL end of June, about 2 weeks after i get certified. I called to book a dive trip and told them i am a soon to be a new diver, and how do they handle newly certified divers on their boat. He told me if i wanted I could be paired off with him (he is an instructor) for the dive. I want to make sure I learn to dive the safe way, and I value my life too much to be paired off with just anyone on the boat that I dont trust. I would even pay a DM if need be to take me around. Although I know I am responsible for myself, and my own safety, I would pay a DM just so that I can be with someone who can guide me where I need it..

I've been reading Scubaboard since I got certified last October. I guess I was lucky, my instructors made it clear that any diver can call a dive for any reason.

Next time you see your instructor thank them for taking the time to teach you not just how to dive but how to be a better diver. Not all instructors do as good of a job as yours and that itself may be part of the problem.

Jim has put a lot of thought in to his article and for a very good reason. If every diver was on the same page we would all have this as common knowledge but as we've all experienced, each person has their own perception of what to expect after OW class.

My instructor was like yours, taught us the basics for class and hammered home all of the other important aspects of how to be a safe and better diver. For that I thank him!

Every time I see another diver doing something crazy I always stop and take the time to discuss what it was they were doing so they better understand why it is either dangerous or the risks associated with it. We're going to have new divers that weren't given the best training but as a community it should be our responsibility to assist other divers when we see them doing something that puts them self or others at risk of injury.

Thank you Jim!

Thank you, thank you and thank you for a great post.

Onto answering the question of who is responsible? Me and myself are responsible for everything I do. I trust my buddy very very much but that doesnt mean I can push over the responsibily over to him when it comes to planning a dive. and executing that particular plan. Also when diving with a guide weather it's a divemaster or MI I do not let them be responsible for my diving.

All diver should know this, but I guess there are some who always lets the guide navigate, checking air-supply and thumbing the dive when it's time.

Though what I said about me beeing responsible for my diving, I feel that I have responsibilty for bringing my buddie up with me.

The one I go down with, I come up with the same person and I expect all my buddies to act the same way, If someone leaves me down there and I make it up...They'll be the one of the few that will be riding a wheelchair in heaven.

Thanks again for a great post.

Best regards, Pitchblack.

It is my contention that once a diver is certified he/she is responsible for their own safety.
Definitely!

Being that there really is no governing body that regulates the industry, and should not be, it is up to the industry itself to insure that ONLY properly trained and qualified people are in the water.
Nope, see point #1

The "industry" itself has innumerable shades of grey including everything from the "best" instructors and operators down to those who are downright dangerous. It is up to the individual diver to research their instructors, charter operators, guides, travel agents etc etc. and ultimately make the decisions about whether to get on the boat and then get in the water.

If you don't know what to look for, that is a hint that your private reading, previous instructors, etc. have not fully prepared you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom