Who makes the "BEST" Carbon fins used for freediving/spearfishing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could have interpreted carbon free as more akin to petroleum free, and then started a discussion on all natural plant rubber fins vs synthetic fins...

That is seriously what I was thinking.

-Z

Carbon fiber fins or just about anything is seriously prone to breakage. So if you're not babying them and stepping all over your fins on the boat, it's definitely worth looking for the best carbon-free fins out there!

Reactions: Zef
Carbon freediving fins or carbon-free diving fins? They are two separate things.

Doh....I get it now....its not carbon free diving fins, it is carbon free-diving fins....as in carbon fiber free-diving fins.

You could have interpreted carbon free as more akin to petroleum free, and then started a discussion on all natural plant rubber fins vs synthetic fins...

Sorry for the confusion, I meant "Carbon fins used for freediving/spearfishing." I have corrected the thread title.

Carbon fiber fins or just about anything is seriously prone to breakage. So if you're not babying them and stepping all over your fins on the boat, it's definitely worth looking for the best carbon-free fins out there!

Although I meant "Carbon fins used for freediving/spearfishing" specifically and not trying to compare carbon vs. non-carbon fins but are you stating that fins made from carbon fiber are much more fragile than the non-carbon fins?

Newer blades aren't nearly as prone to breaking as older fins. A supplier showed me a C4 fin straight from the packaging and slammed--and I mean SLAMMED--the thing on the edge of a wood table 8 or 9 times in a row. Barely a scratch on it.

I wouldn't try dropping a full cooler on a pair of them, but no need to baby them. Carbon fins are plenty durable.

Not sure who makes the best but I use DiveR carbons and they are excellent. Have a nice semi nude mermaid on em too

Pretty much any carbon fin is a night-and-day improvement over any plastic fin. They have relatively low resistance when you kick but they really load up and when you come to the end of your cycle they unload and you jet forward.

The difference between carbon and fiberglass is less dramatic, but still quite noticeable.

Between brands of carbon fins there are performance differences but they will be more subtle -- a lot to do with the weave, the way the fiber is laid up (progressive vs. linear etc) and the overall stiffness of the blade. More noticeable is the fit and comfort of the foot pocket. Some pockets will interchange with other brands, some do not. Some pockets glue in (complicated) and others screw in.

I would try on some a bunch of pockets until you find ones that are comfortable and fit well, and then you can narrow your selection to blades in your budget that work with the pockets you like.

Pretty much any carbon fin is a night-and-day improvement over any plastic fin. They have relatively low resistance when you kick but they really load up and when you come to the end of your cycle they unload and you jet forward.

The difference between carbon and fiberglass is less dramatic, but still quite noticeable.

Between brands of carbon fins there are performance differences but they will be more subtle -- a lot to do with the weave, the way the fiber is laid up (progressive vs. linear etc) and the overall stiffness of the blade. More noticeable is the fit and comfort of the foot pocket. Some pockets will interchange with other brands, some do not. Some pockets glue in (complicated) and others screw in.

I would try on some a bunch of pockets until you find ones that are comfortable and fit well, and then you can narrow your selection to blades in your budget that work with the pockets you like.
What about the resin used for layup, does that factor in?
Which type or resin is best?

I am sure the resin factors into the performance but technicalities like that are beyond me (and most distributors would be hard-pressed to give you that info). If you can find a guy who lays up custom fiber blades (Phil Herranen perhaps?) I bet he will be able to wax eloquent.

I am sure you could make up some CF blades if you had the inkling, Eric :)

Back
Top Bottom