Who, precisely, are we not permitted to criticize on this board?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The real shame of this weekend is the weather.

"Southwest winds 5 to 10 knots with gusts of 25. Seas 2 to 4 feet with occasional 5s."

My boat won't sink on those seas but sure would make it a sporty outting. And to think I have a brand new OMS mask ready for it's inaugural dive. Bright orange too.

Dammit I should be diving instead of reading drama from people that get pissy when someone in the interwebs disagrees with them. What else do you want? You want to know who's off limits? All of us are off limits ALL OF US. Don't f**with anyone here and everything would be peachy. How hard is to not attack people coño?
You disagree with actions? Attack the actions ... Stay the duck away from people.

Dammit I was supposed to be diving right now.

IF they show the staff badge, they're on this list. Note that I don't but I am one.
Notable Members | ScubaBoard

Personally I feel that it would be better if all staff members were "encouraged to show their badge"

Then at least people know

All Staff members shoudl be listed in the members area, perhaps with their area of responsibility

If you're going to accept the responsibility then why do your need to hide/go incognito

I have no issues, those members (staff and normal) who's tone and opinions I don't value, I don't engage with. Life's too short for internet fights.

As yet I haven't ignored anyone, mainly because even if someone generally spouts manure, then occasionally have an insightful comment worth reading

The report function is there for everyone, occasionally I've contacted a Staff member directly on something and always got a polite reply (whether I agree or not)

Just my 2c

I`d moved here from ours diveforums, because of discussion atmosphere.
over 10 yrs ago I also was a participant of internet battles... Falling into fight of any important (for me) discussed problems...
Late I got more knowledge about diving related things, and most important - I understood - nothing is worth our nerves.
I starts to argue only when I had unbreakable proofs.

@djcheburashka - ДиДжей Че - I`m partically with you (not whith ban, but with initial message), and I suppose, if problem exists, also important and safety related problem, It should be enlighted. But if you try to do it - you should have unbreakable proofs, screenshots, printed docs, etc. Otherways you could be blamed with incompetence, lie, cocnurence etc. Also: very usefull link - Wayback Machine
And discussion style should be always looks like gentle and soft.

How this looks to Russian forums :)
We have a joke - how to find russian diver in the international team? (because they read too much russian diving forums)
"He will use backplate and wing (Halcyon probably), he will have long hose regulator. He will use only Jetfins. All his wear will black."
once I understood, that it is not joke. Once I meet in Egypt, far south hotel in ElQuseir, man, who was weared so. He speaks english, and I think - wow, I meet true foreighn DIR diver... but later he starts speak with me in russian!!!! :) he was from ex Ugoslavia :)

So, SB looks like gentlemen opposit to most russian diving forums. Here your most discussion like noble talks, opposit to our forum battles...
So, SB looks like gentlemen opposit to most russian diving forums. Here your most discussion like noble talks, opposit to our forum battles...
Hope it will stay the same...

All Staff members shoudl be listed in the members area, perhaps with their area of responsibility
You are of course entitled to that opinion, but as it stands here, it's just that: opinion. If you would care to make it into a reasoned argument, we might have a good discussion.

If you're going to accept the responsibility then why do your need to hide/go incognito
Upthread, I lied. The first rule of the Mod Corps isn't what I said, it's "have fun".

When I post as a regular member - and thus aren't allowed to moderate the thread I'm posting in, I want my post to be read and evaluated just like all the other posts. If my posts were to be held to some "higher standard" (what is that, BTW? Shouldn't I make the occasional goofy post? Shouldn't I participate in a heated discussion while staying within the ToS? What else should or shouldn't I do to uphold a "higher standard"?) that'd take away a bit of the fun for me. And quite a few of us take the occasional vacation from moderation. Although we usually come back, what about a mod on vacation? Should they still be held to "higher standards"?

So I choose not to show my badge, because that's my way of saying that my posts are no better, no worse than anyone else's and should be judged by their own merits. Not according to some "higher standard".

It's not an attempt to hide anything; I'm not that stupid that I think I can somehow hide that I'm a member of the Mod Corps. Anyone who has been around here for a while knows pretty well who we are. It's my way of saying that no-one should judge my posts any different than everybody else's just because I happen to be a member of the Mod Corps.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

When I'm posting as a mod, it'll be quite obvious.

Twenty six pages of pure dribble...and counting...and no one got wet in the process...so that alone makes it all totally worthless...

You're all throwing gasoline on a fire...and expecting something other than the inevitable...and in this post the staff are more responsible for the ''throwing'' than are the members...especially when referencing past events...that should not be discussed period...or used as a reference in this forum...

Long past time putting this forum in the box...nailing the lid shut...taking it for the ''LAST RIDE'''...and burying it deep...

We're all playing in someone elses back yard...play nice...follow the established rules...or expect your posts to be modded/deleted...and suffer ''ban'' penalties...this is ''only scuba diving''...

W...

Horse-drawn-hearse.jpg

HOWEVER,
I am under impression that "Scuba board supporter" label under the username gives some users false ideas of their superiority. Like, "I am right because I am a SB supporter, and you are wrong because you are not."

Therefore, I suggest, the labels "SB supporter" should be removed. If this is charity, charity should be anonimous. Report it to IRS if you want, but I do not care to see this.
Dixi

As someone who spend most of the time here reading and not posting, I have not noticed anyone that have the SB supporter badge behaving in the manner that you describe.
For me it was simple, I really enjoy the activity of diving and this forum has been and continues to be a wealth of useful information that helped me extract even more enjoyment, more safely from currently my most favourite activity. All because of the generosity of a lot of people that participate here. Going ‘Red’ was an easy way for me to support this community which I have gotten so much from and I choose to show my badge in hopes that others may do the same. No other reasons. In fact it comes with some benefits that I have no clue about, but I didn’t do it for that purpose.
I plan on continuing my support in any way I can. Whether it’s sharing some of the little knowledge I have or point to where it can be found or paying to help this community exists. Whatever. Isn’t that what being in a community is all about? Doing your bit?

The s/w does not allow us to list areas of responsibility plus in most cases there is no specialization. We encourage members to update their profiles so others may have an understanding of their skill set, experience etc.

Any moderator can "claim" any report and follow it thru to conclusion - area of specialization or not. Some of our medical mods are experts in their field and we have one published decompression expert on staff.

You are entitled to your opinion as to why I don't show a staff badge but I'm entitled to my right not to show it.

My reason is actually because new members often took my posts as being from an SB "expert" and I've even been quoted as such in the past. Since I frequent the new diver forums and provide assistance it wasn't helpful.

I'm not hiding anything - after 15 years on the board many know who I am. Plus I obliquely indicate it in my user title - the last word is not vanity but refers to the fact that I'm the person that does some of the board-side sysadmin work. My last title was mod.

You miss the entire concept of a fundamental 'burst disk' that keeps this board what it is. Any mod can take his/her hat off and participate in a thread. Once done, that person is no longer forevermore a mod in that thread.

Wow - I cant believe I missed this thread...

Although I understand your position - I cannot "Ignore" a Staff Member - so it does appear as though they do in fact get special privilege. I usually ignore people for a month or more so I can just get past a thread or two where I disagree and would prefer not to get sucked into a miserable conversation with them. But if I can't do that I just don't open the thread - but yet they pop up on another thread that I cannot ignore - so then I go into hibernation for a bit. Maybe that is fair - maybe not. But can't I just tune out a Staff Member or two? Just for a bit? :)

Carry On...

Wow - I cant believe I missed this thread...

Although I understand your position - I cannot "Ignore" a Staff Member - so it does appear as though they do in fact get special privilege. I usually ignore people for a month or more so I can just get past a thread or two where I disagree and would prefer not to get sucked into a miserable conversation with them. But if I can't do that I just don't open the thread - but yet they pop up on another thread that I cannot ignore - so then I go into hibernation for a bit. Maybe that is fair - maybe not. But can't I just tune out a Staff Member or two? Just for a bit? :)

Carry On...
That seems fair to me. When we (staff members) are posting as users, as I always do, there is no reason not to be able to ignore us. We’re just folk.

If we need you to know something, we can always use PM or email.

Back
Top Bottom