Who sells backplate v-weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IndyScott

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Dose anybody know who sells backplate v-weight?

IndyScott

I got my Halcyon v-weights at Brownies. Of course its nice to have them available locally. EE in High springs has them also. Maybe there is a halcyon dealer near you to save on the shipping.
Henry

FredT. He's a member here on the Board. Haven't seen his sign on in a while, but you can PM him or e-mail him at ftagge@goldinc.com and get him to e-mail you a price list.

Actually I was melting down some lead last night. Found I could get a lot at the local tire dealer (weights from tire rims) and got about 5.25 lbs. So back to the tire dealer tomorrow. I've yet to make the mold. I'm thinking sand. Wet the sand and press something wedge shaped into it. Pour the lead quickly and let cool. (Tip melted lead looks exactly like hardened lead- don't touch). My V weight will be about 15 lbs when finished. Cost, almost nothing.

metaldector:
Actually I was melting down some lead last night. Found I could get a lot at the local tire dealer (weights from tire rims) and got about 5.25 lbs. So back to the tire dealer tomorrow. I've yet to make the mold. I'm thinking sand. Wet the sand and press something wedge shaped into it. Pour the lead quickly and let cool. (Tip melted lead looks exactly like hardened lead- don't touch). My V weight will be about 15 lbs when finished. Cost, almost nothing.

It's a time honored method. Do a search on the foundry topic. My high school had it as an insustrial arts module. As I recall you need the right sand so it will pack well and of course you need to make the pattern, wood, foam, whatever. It may need some hand finishing but what the heck.

Remember that lead fumes and dust are not to be taken lightly.

Pete

... or you could use some angle iron and plumber's putty.

Seems to me that it could be made really inexpensively just by using angle iron as suggested before, or using clay to shape the shape and line it with aluminum foil, the foil will stick to the lead but thats ok right?

Are you looking for a weight that fits into a backplate (P-weight) or a weight that fits behind the plate and in between a set of doubles?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom