Who uses the US Divers ABS triple tank system?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverdon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm curious if other divers have or have used one of these systems. I picked this one up a few months ago with the factory BC which I was barely able to use in the pool because of its size.

img_7387_zpsnchbm6cd-jpg.407683.jpg

With my dry suit I need a large or XL BC, so I found a used back plate with straps and drilled a couple holes and voila. Lake Superior here I come.

20170430_0943041_zpsx4ofmxw5-jpg.407684.jpg

I realize these are from the 80s and are not necessarily considered vintage, however due to the fact that I am not using a BC I felt it would be better received here. If it needs to be moved I understand.

a0aefd35-9c1c-48a8-be5e-f77fd1f11acf_zpsllcc6bdo-jpg.407685.jpg

I really enjoy mine now that I have a solution to using it in open water. I don't believe wing would work all that well as the pack sits very close to the case. Perhaps someone more familiar with backpacks and doubles could chime in.

I do know that these pop up on ebay every now and again and sell each time, so I'm curious if other divers have been using them. They're kind of large for wall hangers.

DD

I have a set without the shell. When luxfer had their exchange program, I replaced the tanks. They have since changed their spec away from the 4.875 diameter. I had a local machine shop make bands for them and use a navy type harness. I like them well enough but it is an expensive way to come about 90 cu ft of air with additional failure points. They still have a cool factor.

I agree, Scubapeter. The cool factor is what this system is all about. Post a pic. I'd like to see what you've ended up with.
The tanks in my set up are original and only had their original hydro stamp when I bought them. They now sport fresh a hydro and VE stamp.

Have a look for a CCR wing, many of them are made for the form factor of the AP units which is not terribly dissimilar.

I use this one:

CCR XT Wing | Dive Rite

I did see that and emailed him regarding his gear. I believe he is down to two sets and they both come with BCs, an XL and a medium. If I didn't already have two sets of tanks I'd probable scoop up the XL. He will not part them out, to his credit.
Did this post prompt you to look for these on CL, or have you been looking for a set for a while? I'm curious as there are few posts here regarding this setup.

@Diverdon, I have zero interest in the tanks (I think they're cool, but not really my thing as I'm a vacation diver). I saw this thread and remembered the tanks from a craigslist search I did sometime ago...

That does look pretty cool. I know what to do with mine if (when) the cases break.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom