• Always Wear One

Votes: 103 39.9%
  • Sometimes Wear One

Votes: 70 27.1%
  • Only When Diving From The Shore

Votes: 12 4.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of my diving is open water, shore or boat diving.
The snorkel is a small PIA, during the dive, but I like to have it on the surface.
I am a big guy, so my air consumption is higher than most.
I snorkel from the back of the dive boat to the down line and vise versa after surfacing to conserve air.
On shore dives I use my snorkel if there is long swim to the descent point. I wear a backplate and wing, fully inflated lifts my tank off my back (out of the water) this is the least drag/most comforatable position for me on the surface, but this puts my face in the water, so the snorkel is essential.

Mike D

I almost never use one.

Ice diving, they are of no use because you spend no time on the surface.

The remainder of my diving is done from shore in a location where there is a 20' swim before descent.

Having said all this, when I have a long surface swim ahead of me, I will wear one to avoid using the reg.

Although I've found myself even doing this less lately as most of my buddies burn more air than I do and saving air before the dive just means I have even more left in my tank at the end.

i always wear one. even this past week in coz the dm said we didn't need it. i did one dive without and all the rest with it. my purpose is that while i'm waiting for people to get back on the boat i can still stare down into the waters without using the very little remaining air in my tank. There were serveral instances where i surfaced after my safety stop with less than 200psi. so i'd just float around snorkeling till it was my turn to get back on the boat. i guess the rest of you aren't as hardcore as i am and once you surface you're done with the dive...me on the other hand...i love just starring down to the bottom and check'n things out. never know what you'll see...

i get back on the boat once they dm starts reaching for the gaffe

I used to not care one way or the other, but lately I've taken to hating the darn thing and don't wear it unless a boat captain or instructor insists. Then I think twice about wether I want to go on that boat again....

Issue #1: I keep grabbing the snorkle instead of the power inflator. This can get to be increadibly annoying after a while.

Issue #2: using the long hose makes the snorkel a real annoyance to work around.

My instructor insisted that I had to wear the snorkle during my rescue diver and any any other dive being credited towords a PADI cert because PADI requires one even though HE thinks snorkles are stupid too. Go figure. I ended up getting the flag line tangled in it.

IMHO: snorkles are for snorkleing...

I always keep it on. Just makes things easier than breathing off a reg. while going to a certain location.

Here is something some might find interesting. I had some prospective students who wanted to take an advanced class in full face masks. Obviously, you can't use a snorkel with one of those. I spoke with a PADI training consultant and they told me there was no problem doing the class with an alternative configuration without a snorkel. They did say that this would not be the case for an OW class.

In a rescue class a snorkel must be used because some of the exersizes require response with only mask snorkel and fins. However, I was told that this class also could be done with a full face mask.

I thought it was just me that occasionally grabbed my snorkel instead of the bc inflator ... guess I'm not alone.

Even so, being a newbie I don't see going without a snorkel for quite some time.

I always do but, I am still a newbie. I can see why some don't though

But I also don't shore dive.

Off a boat it has little or no purpose in my view. If I come up and have a long surface swim I'm gonna do it on my back anyway; your fins are in the water that way and your propulsion efficiency is better - and you don't need your reg.

If I was shore diving I'd probably use it.

Back
Top Bottom