• Always Wear One

Votes: 103 39.9%
  • Sometimes Wear One

Votes: 70 27.1%
  • Only When Diving From The Shore

Votes: 12 4.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always wear one.....but am considering getting one of the collapsing ones because mine has been getting in my way a lot recently. It is good for long surface swims, which I have often here.:cheers:

According to DIR web site, and I quote:

"The Argument: Snorkels also have DEAD AIR SPACES, an area where carbon dioxide builds up. The last thing a diver needs before or after a dive is breathing through a dead air space. Swim on your back while on the surface or breath."

They are also, from what I have heard from several DIR divers "an entanglement hazard" and I have actually heard of a newly certified OW diver drowning (notice I didn't say NEAR DROWNING) - when he did one of his first OW dives after his certification, and accidently drown when he began to descend with his snorkel in his mouth instead of his reg and breathed in, hence, drowned.

I could see someone accidently grabbing their snorkel mouth piece instead of their BC inflator mech by accident. While doing our checkouts, I found myself grabbing my snorkel mouth piece in error a few times while reaching for my BC inflator hose from my wings. And, I personally tested the 'theory' my DIR friends told me about that snorkels will make or contribute to a mask leaking. It did. They were right.

I agree. I hate snorkels when diving. I love to snorkel though but hate wearing them when I SCUBA. I am an Instructor. One of the hazards of teaching with a snorkel is that yes...The student will sometimes grab the snorkel by mistake reaching for the inflator deflator hose. Fortunetly I have switched from PADI to NAUI and NAUI allows the students to just have the snorkel on them not necessarily on the mask but maybe folded in a pocket. THANKGOODNESS...FINALLY...

just when I am helping with a class of new divers. Other than that no I don't, don't see the need.

Rich :mean:

Originally posted by happybuddha
My guess is that mathematics were never used, who ever established 500psi and/or 50bar thought they were nice round numbers.
Nice round numbers are more important than exact mathematically derived psi or bar figures since your SPG doesn't have all that great of resolution.

And we can't have several redlines cluttering up the dial either for the various depth ranges...

So 500psi seemed like a good number... but that really didn't cut it for reserve from the recreational max of 130 so many newer SPGs show a redline of 700psi or in your case 50bar.

Now to the point...

This is not the gas you need to get back onto the boat with.
This is the gas you need to get you and your buddy safely up from depth.

And so that we can steer this side converstation back towards the snorkel topic...

Hmmmm....

There doesn't appear to be any legitimate way to get this back to snorkels...

Hmmmm....

Well... I don't use a snorkel for scuba diving... but I have one on each boat and they must be havin' babies out in the garage cause it is infested with them.

...my DIR friends told me when I began my BOW course, "Once you get certified, NAIL that thing on your garage wall with a spike and admire it as a decoration, because thats all it good for!"

Are we out to SNORKEL or SCUBA dive? Notice why both are referred to SNORKELING or SCUBA DIVING!

The Argument is: "If you use a snorkel you can conserve air while swimming to/from the boat."

Answer: If a guys SAC (Surface Air Consumption) is so poor that he can't swim on his back with his reg in his mouth, then he needs to get into the gym and workout or start a running program."

Leave the entanglement hazard, mask leaker, etc. at home!

Go to GUE's Equipment Guide at:
http://www.gue.com/equipment/equip-anatomy.shtml

Notice snorkels are not even listed!

See DIR UK's web site at: http://www.dis-uk.org/snorkel.htm

The Argument, and I quote: "Snorkels also have DEAD AIR SPACES, an area where carbon dioxide builds up. The last thing a diver needs before or after a dive is breathing through a dead air space. Swim on your back while on the surface or breath through the regulator which should always have enough reserve air and giving it to you at the rate you need it. There are divers out there who keep snorkels either on the left side of their mask or on their ankle on any dive. The latter is a definite entanglement hazard and should be avoided. It is a dangerous club practice. A snorkel on the mask, meanwhile, interferes with the regulator, the calamity of a dive and overall performance. Also, where lines or reels are used, or in environments where fishing takes place (hence lost lines, nets etc), they may mean an entanglement that could even lead to mask loss. The best place to keep a snorkel is in your dive bag or, if you insist, in a dry suit pocket. If you are contemplating using a snorkel as a rescue device, it may be better to review your own safe diving practices and seek further training on diver rescue. Most experienced divers do not use snorkels. Snorkels have no place in technical diving. "

ENOUGH SAID? And thats not even a Newbie speaking now...

Scuba 446, it sounds like your mad at someone, pretty much most of the people here agree with you so no reason to get pissed :)
Also I am curious what you mean by "And thats not even a Newbie speaking now" I am not saying anything about your level of training, just wondering if there was some one thing someone could do to make themselves no longer a “newbie”, if so, were do I sign up?

Hi,
No, I'm not pissed at anyone...just playing Devil's Advocate on the topic and issues....

Nope, no way to get past the Newbie stage but to dive, practice, learn, read, and speak to others who know - and gather facts, idea's and opinions and make your own call from there.

Just read on another post about a Searh and Rescue Fire Fighter drowning on one of their training exercises. Very sad....

Awaken the Giant Within!

Good to know your not mad, seeing as we almost all seem to agree on the snorkle issue.
I was joking about doing some one thing and no longer being a newbie, I was just curious what milestone you had crossed to no longer consider yourself a newbie.

Oh,
I haven't reached ANY milestone that I now consider myself a Newbie, other than I have spoken with, e-mailed and joned many messages boards (this and pure DIR) around the USA and UK and have gathered many opinions, facts, info as I could.

I find getting my BOW cert like getting one's drivers license form DMV. Its a license to drive, but comes without any REAL experience to boot.

Same with my BOW cert - now comes the much needed practice and experience to try things, find what works and does not work, for me and the type of diving I plan on doing, and then, just dive, dive, dive and get better - but remain as safe as possible!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom