• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Who's gotten the COVID vaccine? Who's planning to?

Discussion in 'Non-Diving Related Stuff' started by Esprise Me, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Joneill

Joneill ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Fair enough - the problem in the US is that many people don’t interpret “free” in that way.

However, I will also add that I’ve never heard any of my European friends or co-workers refer to their healthcare as being “free” either.

2. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Have you had the newer Shingrix vaccination? I didn't bother with the old one, but that one is more rewarding.

3. The Chairman

The Chairman Chairman of the Board

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I got it almost two years ago when it first came out. You can still get shingles, but it's supposedly milder. I had a rash, but no pain. However, I was completely disoriented for almost a week and had the dizzies for two months and that has hurt me more than just about anything. Try walking as you drift to the left. It was a couple of weeks before I could even drive.

Marie13 likes this.
  4. BRT

BRT not a soft touch ScubaBoard Supporter

Drifting to the left?

5. Kimela

Kimela Regular of the Pub

You and I could be in a book club together - imagine that!!!! When covid hit I read the Robot series. Nothing like sci-fi to take the mind off the icky reality!! Hoping your dizzies are relenting and you're getting back to more fun reading.

6. ibj40

ibj40 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Wow!

I’ve gotten both versions, with nary a side effect (other than sore arm) from either.

The Chairman likes this.
  7. Joneill

Joneill ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Just to be clear I was not talking about volunteering - I do that too as my main career pays the bills, etc.,.

8. Hoag

Hoag Loggerhead Turtle

It would be hard to describe the vaccine roll-out in Canada without using the word "Cluster" in the description.

At first everything looked good (by the gov't standards).
    Then they cancelled an option on a huge shipment of the Moderna vaccines (I think 500k doses, but I could be wrong,)
    Then Pfizer informed us that we would not be getting any vaccines from them or that we would at best be getting very few for several weeks due to a plant shut down.
    Then, the Canadian gov't gains access to vaccines destined for developing nations & reroutes them to Canada
    Now shipments from Pfizer are beginning to come again and the gov't is trying to tell us that we are actually ahead of schedule. (Yeah, right)

I am in my 60s and according to the website estimation of when to expect my shots, I will not likely get mine until June to late August.

According to some sources that I have seen, Canada is ranked 57th in the world as far as the percentage of our population that has been vaccinated. Yes, we have a huge geographical area to cover, but 57th! I thought we were a G7 nation! Canada should be one of the nations leading the vaccinations.

For those living in the most remote locations, it is a "Double edged sword." On one hand, their remoteness offers a degree of protection simply because fewer people go there from "outside the local area". On the other hand, once (or if) an infection gets introduced, proper medical facilities may be logistically out of reach.

chillyinCanada and Esprise Me like this.
  9. birdman27

birdman27 Nassau Grouper

I got my second moderna jab yesterday. Sometime overnight the aches set in. Also a low grade fever. Unpleasant, but will be worth it. Plus I got an extra work from home day

chillyinCanada and drrich2 like this.
  10. Storker

Storker ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

I've been working from home for nearly a year now.

I'd really prefer not to have to. It really, really sucks. Srsly. Even disregarding the issue of doing your job properly in a virtual environment. Only thing I can imagine sucks more is losing your job.

Esprise Me likes this.