• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Who's gotten the COVID vaccine? Who's planning to?

Discussion in 'Covid and pandemic discussions' started by Esprise Me, Jan 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdman27

birdman27 Contributor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I alternate days at home and days onsite. In reality I will end up going in more often this week than normal due to the projects in process. But I get your point.

2. BLACKCRUSADER

BLACKCRUSADER Contributor

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    I live in Taiwan where the Wuhan Virus has been managed superbly. Vaccine should be available from March and as I am 60 years old I could get vaccinated. I'm not going to do so until I need to travel internationally. I live in the mountains in a remote area so do not have contact with many people day to day. Once international travel in Asia opens up I will wait and see even then when to travel.

I would not be going to a destination where you need to quarantine on arrival or quarantine on return.

3. tarponchik

tarponchik Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Yeah, your government is weird. All they ordered so far is Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. Meanwhile, according to BBC's report, UK has ordered 100M dozes of AstraZeneca, 100M of Valneva, 60M of GSK, 60M of Novavax, 40M of Pfizer, 30M of J&J, and 17M dozes of Moderna vaccines. Which is pretty wise in my mind. Note that only just 14% of ordered vaccines are of the mRNA type from Pfizer and Moderna, and the rest are much better studied types. If I had a choice, I'd rather take a shot of an adenovirus-vector vaccine (AstraZeneca, J&J or even better Russian Sputnik V), or a vaccine based on inactivated virus (Valneva or Chinese Cinavax). My 2nd choice would be vaccines based on recombinant proteins (GSK or Novavax), and the mRNA vaccines would be my last resort because there is no way they could evaluate their long term effects in such short time. Meanwhile, Canada's vaccination rate is lower than in Turkey or Kuwait and is almost 1/4th of Chile's. Just unbelievable.

PS: Just checked the news and learned that Pfizer and Moderna shipments to Europe are delayed. Probably, Canada's shipments will be late too.

Bottom Surveyor likes this.
  4. davehicks

davehicks ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Pfizer is manufacturing their vaccine in Belgium and Germany as well as in the US.

As for vaccine choice and safety, the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines have been administered about about 80 Million people now, starting back in April with the 1st trials. The results are pretty clear that it's one of the safest and most effective vaccines that have ever been produced. Beyond that it does not utilize a live or inactivated virus, but instead instructs our own cells to produce 100% natural targeted antibodies. These are the gold standard vaccines that all others are going to be measured against.

5. lexvil

lexvil ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    WTF is a Wuhan virus? This is about covid.

Newdiv and tridacna like this.
  6. BLACKCRUSADER

It is what it is called in Taiwan. Wuhan Virus or Wuhan pneumonia. Just as you call things like Hong Kong Foot or Ebola or German Measles or Japanese encephalitis or Spanish Flu.

In China it is also called 武汉病毒 in Chinese. You can google translate that then complain to China about the name it called the virus.

7. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    LOL. I guess if this were a Chinese or a Taiwanese forum, then that name would be appropriate. Otherwise, it is just a political statement and that is not appropriate.

Newdiv and lexvil like this.
  8. kelemvor

kelemvor Big Fleshy Monster ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    It's also what the virus is called in about half of the USA...

Kimela likes this.
  9. BLACKCRUSADER

It's a statement of fact nothing more. The politics is demanding people call it a name that even in China is not commonly used in Chinese. Many people refer to it as the Wuhan virus around the world.

Is this an American forum? A Canadian Forum? A UK Forum?
    This forum has a nationality attached to it?

10. tarponchik

tarponchik Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    You must be a psychic.

Bottom Surveyor and davehicks like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.