Who's in for February?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had to miss it this trip, as I stalled a day too long on booking the trip. The airfare went up exponentially. So...we go post.

Holy Toledo, Batman! I might have to come a day or so early. I want to fly in the 11, but SW say it wants mucho dinero......

Holy Toledo, Batman! I might have to come a day or so early. I want to fly in the 11, but SW say it wants mucho dinero......
sw???? Does that stand for southwest ???? I didn't know SW flew into Cozumel from Penn.

sw???? Does that stand for southwest ???? I didn't know SW flew into Cozumel from Penn.

We got sold on Airtran non-stop, direct from Baltimore to Cancun. Then Southwest bought Airtran, so now we make that run on them.

I wish they would fly straight into Coz .... I'm not up for doing the bag-drag from Cancun. :depressed:

Agree. We can sometimes get direct flights DIA to CZM, but if not we stop over at DFW or Houston (DFW has the best Bloody Marys...) and go from there to Coz.

Just Say NO to the Bag Drag...

I wish they would fly straight into Coz .... I'm not up for doing the bag-drag from Cancun. :depressed:

OMG, Kat. Live a little! :)

My van guy will meet you at the door of CUN and haul your tookus to Playa. If you have a lot of crap, make sure they dump you by the bus station. Hire a tricycle guy and let him do the work. He can even take ALL your bags onto the secure area of the ferry pier to wait for you. Get a refreshing drink at Senor Frogs. (Perhaps the only time you will hear me say Senor Frogs.) Take a nice boat ride. Who doesn't like a boat ride? If you are lucky, you get Ultramar with the band.

Or if you don't carry have a bigillion tons of luggage, walk out the door and grab the guy in the turquoise shirt and ask when the next Mayair leaves. Take the free ride over, buy a ticket and 15 minutes later, La Isla! $50 or less.

I did Mayair for Operation "Surprise the Missus" last month And regardless of the conventional wisdom, I took one look at the sardines queuing up for the shared vans and walked right outta the airport to 65 and the airport road. I just made to the circle when a taxi and I did the eye thing and the head gesturing. Of all people it turned out to be a guy I know who is also a paramedic. I met him a short walk down the airport road and he helped me to QUICKLY load the bags before the Federales caught us avoiding the sardine-o-van. He quoted me 120 peso to Money Bar where Operation "Surprise the Missus" entered into the full operational phase.

Seriously, for US, I can have 4 hours on one big plane and 2 hours of ground and ferry or 15 minutes of Mayair and be there. or spend 6 hours at least flying to Texas and back to CZM plus whatever waiting in Texas. And pay an extra 150 for the privilege of spending 50% more time on the big birds and rushing through the TX airports.

LOL CV.... I get your point, but for us to go SWA, we have to drive 2 hours to begin with, then the SWA flights are either 6.5 or 8 hours depending on connections, THEN do the bag drag .... so for us, paying extra, but taking a 10 minute cab ride to the HSV airport, then flying thru ATL or DFW to Coz is still way faster, and probably cheaper.

LOL CV.... I get your point, but for us to go SWA, we have to drive 2 hours to begin with, then the SWA flights are either 6.5 or 8 hours depending on connections, THEN do the bag drag .... so for us, paying extra, but taking a 10 minute cab ride to the HSV airport, then flying thru ATL or DFW to Coz is still way faster, and probably cheaper.

Well someday Alabama will get a real airport I imagine......

WrightBros.jpg

Feb 7-14 Hotel Cozumel Resort. Diving with ? Can't wait......

OMG, Kat. Live a little! :)

My van guy will meet you at the door of CUN and haul your tookus to Playa. If you have a lot of crap, make sure they dump you by the bus station. Hire a tricycle guy and let him do the work. He can even take ALL your bags onto the secure area of the ferry pier to wait for you. Get a refreshing drink at Senor Frogs. (Perhaps the only time you will hear me say Senor Frogs.) Take a nice boat ride. Who doesn't like a boat ride? If you are lucky, you get Ultramar with the band.

Or if you don't carry have a bigillion tons of luggage, walk out the door and grab the guy in the turquoise shirt and ask when the next Mayair leaves. Take the free ride over, buy a ticket and 15 minutes later, La Isla! $50 or less.

I did Mayair for Operation "Surprise the Missus" last month And regardless of the conventional wisdom, I took one look at the sardines queuing up for the shared vans and walked right outta the airport to 65 and the airport road. I just made to the circle when a taxi and I did the eye thing and the head gesturing. Of all people it turned out to be a guy I know who is also a paramedic. I met him a short walk down the airport road and he helped me to QUICKLY load the bags before the Federales caught us avoiding the sardine-o-van. He quoted me 120 peso to Money Bar where Operation "Surprise the Missus" entered into the full operational phase.

Seriously, for US, I can have 4 hours on one big plane and 2 hours of ground and ferry or 15 minutes of Mayair and be there. or spend 6 hours at least flying to Texas and back to CZM plus whatever waiting in Texas. And pay an extra 150 for the privilege of spending 50% more time on the big birds and rushing through the TX airports.

Makes sense, from where you are. But a quick look at a map shows that from where we are, it's pretty much a straight shot from Denver or Colorado Springs to DFW or Houston, and from there to Cancun or Cozumel.
Our layovers are generally 60-90 minutes (93 minutes coming up in Feb...) which is perfect. We spend a couple hours on the plane, then walk across the airport (walking every couple hours decreases the chances of getting a DVT - we're all nurses, so we obsess on these things...), stop at The Irish Pub for a Bloody Mary or a Mimosa (or two...alcohol also affects clotting and we don't want a DVT...), then another two hours to Cozumel. We're leaving Denver at 0530, which means we will be on Cozumel at 12:30. Which means we'll be able to join the Good People at Aldora for their regularly scheduled Wednesday twilight and night dive a few hours later. :D

Back
Top Bottom