Why a mask with black skirt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I'm using my camera, which is always, the black skirt keeps peripheral light out of eyes, so I can what's in my viewfinder.

On the other hand, a clear skirt lets more light on to a model's face, which is nice.

I've been diving for 20 years but always used a mask with a clear skirt. actually I've only had two masks. So, I'm considering a new mask and I am wondering what is the benefit to a black skirt on a mask? Seems to me a clear skirt lets in more light and makes the dive brighter. But I could be wrong. Advice??
Too much distracting on the periphery, too much light. Light from the side adds no value when trying to focus on what is in front of you.

This is just passing on what others have said int he past. It is a DIR thing. In caves where it is black the light reflects off the mask. the DIR folks would also say,,,, all gear should be black. It probably makes sense in a cave environment. Most if not just many of the rules from DIR have been taken form the caves and promulgated to not only rec divers but all diving conditions. They have another thing they do. One rig set up for all diving. So it may not be needed in rec diving but it may be in cave diving and because of the rule is perhaps inappropriately assigned to rec diving. Just a different set of doing things between tech world and rec world. Kind of like doing a night dive in your pool and having to have 2 lights with you because that is what is done in caves. I would not worry about what your mask is,,,, so long as it works for you in the dive conditions you dive in.

This is just passing on what others have said int he past. It is a DIR thing. in caves where it is black the light reflects off the mask. the DIR folks would also say all gear should be black. It probably makes sense in a cave environment. Most if not just many of the rules from DIR have been taken form the caves and promulgated to not only rec divers but all diving conditions. They have another thing they do. one rig set up for all diving. So it may not be useful in rec diving but it may be in cave diving and because of the rule is inappropriately assigned to rec diving. just a different set of doing things in tech world and rec world. Kind of like doing a night dive in your pool and having to have 2 lights with you because that is what is done in caves. I would not worry about what your mask is so long as it works for you in the dive conditions you dive in.
I have done over 200 cave dives with a clear skirt. Works for me. I actually like having the additional peripheral light (not really vision, but still something) at the edge. So I think this, like so many things in diving, come down to personal preference, and not much else.

I have done over 200 cave dives with a clear skirt. Works for me. I actually like having the additional peripheral light (not really vision, but still something) at the edge. So I think this, like so many things in diving, come down to personal preference, and not much else.
I dont do much cave dives now. but comments were made in the distant past regarding non black fins or suits or gear and reflected light. when someone mentioned eye dialation aspect that now made some sense to me, but it again would be primarily in a cave or similar lighted environment. I am not sure if even a noght dive in open water wold be teh same as a cave dive because of the clear water involved.

What does this even mean? Eyes do not dilate.

Hmm my hands typed faster than my brain could think.

I wear black skirts to increase pupil dilation and make it easier to see, t doesnt feel like i am getting glare/blinging brightness from the sides.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom