Why a mask with black skirt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving for 20 years but always used a mask with a clear skirt. actually I've only had two masks. So, I'm considering a new mask and I am wondering what is the benefit to a black skirt on a mask? Seems to me a clear skirt lets in more light and makes the dive brighter. But I could be wrong. Advice??

The advantage of a black skirt is for those taking pictures or video, the experts say its better anyway. But for diving I like the clear with side view. I've never had a being too bright issue. Good to get some color on it like a rim that is blue or yellow in case you drop it and need to hunt for it on the bottom.

This is the mask I use. My first 2 had clear skirts but they now only come in black. The side glass allows great peripheral vision so I don't miss the clear skirt. Same side glass on both versions. I don't really notice a difference between the clear and black skirt versions.
upload_2019-1-30_16-45-30.png

This is the mask I use. My first 2 had clear skirts but they now only come in black. The side glass allows great peripheral vision so I don't miss the clear skirt. Same side glass on both versions. I don't really notice a difference between the clear and black skirt versions.View attachment 502589
In terms of issues with clear skirts, your mask change was from clear + glass side 'skirt' to black + glass side 'skirt', so not a really big difference, given the glass panes to the side of the main window in both cases.

I used to have a mask with a clear skirt. (I still travel with it as my back-up mask.) I found, however that with a clear skirt, from time to time I would be a bit startled be what I initially thought might be something sneaking up on me. What was actually happening was that I would occasionally catch a very brief glimpse of the strap's buckle on the very edge of my peripheral vision. This was never a problem once I switched to a mask with a black skirt.

My main mask and back up have black skirts for the open water. I use an old clear skirt mask for working in the pool/chlorine and yes it has yellowed over time.

My clear skirted mask has been in use for six years now and the yellowing is quite noticeable.

I mostly do macro photography diving and I can’t say I’ve had much of a problem seeing my lcd screen.

I personally like the open feeling of a clear skirted mask.

For me, the black skirt doesn't show the mold and mildew like a clear skirt does, and it's important not to see impending health hazards.

I have a very old clear mask that is horribly yellowed (Tabata). I have another one that looks like new (Cressi) and it's a few years older than the yellowed one. They received very similar care. I'm thinking it has something to do with the quaility of the silicone that it was made from.

I have a very old clear mask that is horribly yellowed (Tabata). I have another one that looks like new (Cressi) and it's a few years older than the yellowed one. They received very similar care. I'm thinking it has something to do with the quaility of the silicone that it was made from.
That is definitely part of the equation. If resistance to yellowing is important enough to you, Cressi makes some masks in a “Crystal” version with silicone that may never yellow. You can see the difference in how clear it is when you put them side by side. I think it is about a $10 upcharge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom