Suggestion Why am I Blocking ads?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
R

redacted

You asked: Why are you blocking the ads? Don't you know that SB is advertiser supported?!
Why not just be a supporting member then?

I block ads because they are annoying the way they are presented and I can; so I do. But I would not mind having a link to Scubaboard ads that I could access when I want to.

I block the ads because sometimes the ads feature women in bikini's and I'm very against the exploitation of women.

I've written code that blocks just the bikinis from loading...

I need to go back and read about supporting and sponsering members. I thought I could turn it all off and that I had but I still see ads popping up.

Why? Because they make my netbook and tablet run like poo-poo. My home PC, which gets 90% of the SB time has the ads still showing. A fact of truth though - likely 95%+ of the ads here are of zero use for me. I have traveled to warm water twice in 23 years. My gear is ecletic (quasi-vintage, or purchased used), and my buying habits are unpursuaded. I'm more likely to go by the SB members discussions of gear than the banner ad. Yes, their financial contribution to SB is a wonderful thing, and i hope it is of benefit to them. I do NOT like the "chastizing" that now appears to be "arm twisting" for money. YMMV.

When ads singificantly slow down page load times, it's a sign that instead of static ads, animated gifs and flash ads are running. Flash is a known problem for Mac people. Animated .gifs are annoying, and a problem for Mac people. I actually turned off ads in my main browser because a borrowed computer had AdBlock and the pages loaded much, much, much faster.

When the ads are causing problems because the Ad server is not paying attention it costs everyone. SB because they are not going to get ad revenue, the ad server because they are going to lose SB as a customer, and the advertisers because they are irritating potential customers.

All I can do is shut off the ads, since I am not in charge of which ad server SB is using.

I get this message too. Thing is, I have disabled Adblock on the scubaboard domain and I do get some ads. I guess some ads are served up from external hosts. Sorry, I'll make an exception for scubaboard but I'm not disabling my Adblock on all domains for all my internet activity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom