Why are certifications valid forever?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the USA we're also fortunate that OSHA made special exceptions for recreational and scientific divers (as opposed to commercial divers). The OSHA rules don't apply to recreational divers or their instructors.

In the USA we're also fortunate that OSHA made special exceptions for recreational and scientific divers (as opposed to commercial divers). The OSHA rules don't apply to recreational divers or their instructors.

Correction: OSHA is fortunate they did not attempt that particular form of overreaching.

I dove on two boats this week for the first time. I was asked when my last dive was by both ops. One of them had the question on the release waiver. Neither asked me for my c-card which was surprising, but I did have to write my Padi number on the release.

Sure, this information could be falsified... Not sure why I'd do that.

I was diving 20+ years before someone asked to see my c-card. I didn't have it with me at the time of course. I didn't even know where it was! A quick call to the LDS in MA set things right and I was diving in FL for the 1st time.

Instead of worrying about cards the focus should be on how the cards are earned. These days I see a new diver with a new card and I start trying anticipate what problems will surface during the dive.

---------- Post added June 12th, 2014 at 05:51 PM ----------

Why should they, anymore than the rules for commercial drivers should apply to regular divers. Regular divers aren't required keep logs or have restrictions on how long we can drive for example. What authority would OSHA have in a non-occupational activity? Obama could of course just use his pen to make regulations on his own so nothing is safe.

Continually having to re-new anything is nothing more than revenue generation to pay the salaries of the make work people who were hired to handle the paperwork. It is also another measure of governmental control and intrusion which can be done away with. Why should you have to re-new a passport - Does your citizenship expire?, drivers license - Does your driving skill degrade?, vehicle tag - as long as you own it, Boat registration - as long as you own it, fishing license - until you move out of state, residential burglar alarm - until you tear down the house... I can go on and on. In each of those cases, nothing is ever tested or examined again, so what is the point? I'm waiting for the day that a skiing license or certification is required before you can get on a chair lift.

Most people do one of three things when it comes to a task. Continue to do it and get better at it, lose interest and quit, have a health issue that prevents it.

Agree! Passports-- I can see the need for a new picture and having to pay for that to be processed. Also perhaps a charge if you have moved, been out of the country, etc. Canada recently changed things now allowing 10 year as well as 5 year passports--10 yr.=$160, 5 year still $120. Don't know why the $40 dollar difference--same old picture now good for 10 years. Oh, wait, now I understand the $40 difference--so the govt. can get $40 more.

The fact is many dive operators will require you to show recent diving activity through a log book, or they will require a scuba refresher before you dive with them. Maintaining your skills and competence is up to you and to each diver. I believe that is ats it should be. I also believe every diver should log every dive. This issue is just one reason to do so.
DivemasterDennis

As the owner of a training agency and with diving safety as our first and major priority, I have tried over the past ten years to get a "Time Limit" based on experience into our system, but it has always been blocked... My idea was to have those divers who dive less than five times a year for cards to expire... and those who are diving more than five dives a year will continue to remain "Certified"... Technical divers, CCR and CAVE in particular need to keep their skills sharp to remain safe and would have 2 year certifications... Please share your thoughts...

As the owner of a training agency and with diving safety as our first and major priority, I have tried over the past ten years to get a "Time Limit" based on experience into our system, but it has always been blocked... My idea was to have those divers who dive less than five times a year for cards to expire... and those who are diving more than five dives a year will continue to remain "Certified"... Technical divers, CCR and CAVE in particular need to keep their skills sharp to remain safe and would have 2 year certifications... Please share your thoughts...

I always wanted punch-out corners where boat captains could punch out an "I was stupid" circle on the corner if you ran out of air, lost your buddy, walked on the deck with fins, etc. When all 4 corners were punched, the card would be void and OW class would be required again.

That never got any traction either. :cool:

Are there any countries in which there is a legal requirement of having a license to dive?

When I lived in Saudi 17+ years ago if you did not use private beaches for shore diving and you took the chance to dive the long stretches of Saudi Red Sea coastline then you ran the risk of being hassled by the Saudi Coastguard, most of whom could not read English (and some not even Arabic!).

The Ministry of Fisheries and Agriculture issued a Dive License on showing them various bits of paper including a No Objection Letter from your employer, and your PADI "license"

Cost was zero but it did take a lot of running around and at least two days off work to do.

It was well worth it, although they were not issued to women …. no surprise.

I only had a problem once just south of Jeddah when we were stopped before heading out to dive a wreck with a 2 Km walk out. One of the CG was a Mutawa (religious police) and he told me that if I was supposed to dive I would have been born a fish, I replied that if he was supposed to drive he would have been born a car, that cost us 3 hours sitting in the CG station with our wetsuits on until some officer who could speak English arrived.

Why are certifications valid forever?

Because it is a certification, not a license, nor a qualification.

Certification - a record of training course accomplishment. It says you did X, Y or Z and when. That's all. It means nothing more, and nothing less, than just that. It cannot, by it's very nature, expire.

But to be clear on certifications - neither do they 'entitle' you do something. They are proof of training, and may be accepted as such (primarily for liability reasons) by the dive industry. However, prudent dive operators tend to look for more than only proof of training - they require some evidence of 'currency of skill and experience' (typically through a log book and/or continued education).

So... as example... your Open Water C-Card issued in 1994 remains a valid document. However, if you've not been in the water on scuba in the 20 years since... then it's unlikely that a dive operator will accept that 'proof of training' as a valid indicator of your competence to undertake a scuba dive with them. They will, most likely, demand a refresher, or even re-training, before deeming you competent and current to dive.

Why is it that some people have a bug up their A to try and keep everyone else safe. I don't need a nanny, and I definitely don't need a nanny state.

People who own boats are allowed to choose who they let dive off their boats for whatever reasons they like, that is a different situation.

If you want to hassle people for licensing go after a mandatory boating license (or at least operator certification training), a boat is far more dangerous to others property and life.
Its pretty hard to kill someone else by being a bad diver unless that person chooses to become involved.

Back
Top Bottom