Why are there only Two Dive Operators on New Providence (Nassau) Bahamas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drmark920

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I would like to hear from others as to why there are only two dive operations on all of New Providence. The two operators are Stuart Coves and Bahama Divers. Please don’t get me wrong. I am not complaining about them. I have done dozens of dives with each of them and have written 5 star reviews on both. The concern I have is cost. Having hundreds of dives on dozens of islands across the Caribbean, we have found that New Providence now has the second highest prices we have encountered. They are now double the cost of Cozumel. It seems like there is not enough competition to keep the prices in check. I would appreciate input but kindly request to keep it positive.

Just a guess - Co$t of Living there. Next time you're there go into the food store and price some items...you thought dive prices were high!!

They seem to have nicely divided the business - Cove's has the cruise contracts plus whatever they pick up on the west side on the way to their shop, BD has their Atlantis and Cable Beach shuttles. I think Cove's makes a lot of money on non-dive things also - at one time there was two Cove's operations - Nassau and one at Lyford Cay that I think was more watersports - IDK if it's still operating.

I'm not sure there's enough interest for anyone else to survive. At least I never see Nassau mentioned in general travel publications/websites as a dive destination - they all focus on the beach, etc. And convenience to Florida. I dove with a group in the Caribbean for many years and we never even considered Nassau as an option. Probably because of the boat dive cost actually.

I doubt any operation started on a shoestring can survive long enough to be successful without a big investment to fall back on.

my .02

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom