why are there very few young divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Easy and safe, preferably in a group, seems to be more appealing. And there is much less money to be made from people doing things on their own. Contrary to the assumptions many people have, the independent approach is frequently less expensive than packaged group arrangements

One of the first things covered in class when going over initial questions (diving is dangerous/expensive/difficult/etc.) is the cost.

Every single time I mention that once you own your own equipment, a dive costs nothing more than an $8 air fill and the gas to get to the dive site, the older students smile and the younger students give me the same heat-tilt I get when I make funny noises for my dog. They've been conditioned that leisure activities are something that is presented to them, not something they have to personally perform.

It's not just SCUBA. It's everything.

flots.

I liked reading the arguments about SCUBA being too expensive yet younger individuals will willingly part with $600 for an iPhone (my cell is a $20 dumb phone) or $100 for "adult beverages" over a weekend. It is indeed all about priorities for those who actually have enough money to burn. For those who can't find decent jobs in this economy, I do understand the inability to spend on SCUBA certification and gear.

And the point about younger individuals being locked into computers and video games probably has a fair degree of substance as well. I couldn't live today without my computer (work) but I don't live for it. I spend a lot of time on a computer (mostly for work) but prefer to do it in the early morning and late evening, leaving mid-day for outdoor activities. When I was young, about the only indoor activity I did was reading and that was usually at night. Otherwise I was outside doing sports, playing with the kids in my neighborhood or catching critters by the creek.

(just waiting for the first one to chime in with the ultimate trump card: Boat)

Um, boat, second home in Tobermory, overlooking the harbour, tons of gear, riculously expensive camera system, not to mention the travel...

I've said this before, I'd love to quit diving, but the economy would collapse. :shakehead:

I liked reading the arguments about SCUBA being too expensive yet younger individuals will willingly part with $600 for an iPhone (my cell is a $20 dumb phone) or $100 for "adult beverages" over a weekend.

The cost of an iPhone is well over $600 when you include the cost of the plan, but as was mentioned, a smart phone is a necessity for young people now. If they don't have one they will not be "cool" and become outcasts with their peers. I don't have children but hear this from friends that do. BTW, I have had a smart phone for a month, I cannot ever see going back to a feature (dumb) phone again.

As for the "adult beverages" again this their culture. I would go out on the weekends when I was 21 but like everything else drinks were cheaper then.

I started reading this thread, got half way through and skipped to the end. Sorry if this was all mentioned already in the last 4 pages I didn't read.... (yet!)

At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist I'm going to start by saying that our culture has changed DRASTICALLY in the last 20 years. The advent of computers and the internet has created a sudo "Matrix" kind of lifestyle that a lot of people seem to enjoy. Not Only are people enjoying "living" in the online world (be it facebook, scubaboard or some MMO / video game) but corporations are pouring billions of dollars into campains that do their best to make us want to spend ALL our time there (every second you spend online, you're making somebody money) Corporations are extremely good at making us want to stay "jacked in"

This has created a culture of people who go online for entertainment. Do you all honestly think that the dirt bike, quad, race car, ski mountains, (the list of young people sports goes on) AREN'T having the EXACT same problem as scuba is having with gaining new young people's attention? Its not even just the sports, but the arts as well. Singing, dancing, painting, sculpting, musical instruments... these are all areas that are seeing exponential loss of attendance from anyone that isn't being pushed into it by their parents.

The simple reason that young people's attendance is so low for scuba diving is because they'd rather be entertained online.

Don't get me wrong, there are still plenty of young people that go out and are active outside the computer/xbox, but for every one you see out there (i'm pulling a number out of my butt here) there are probablly 1000 more sitting on their rear gaming or chatting or facebooking, or otherwise online.

I've recently turned old. (35 yesterday ;D) and I've grown up in this new, online culture and I have to say that of ALL the guys I know, I'm the ONLY one that actually gets off the couch and does stuff (I actually rarely get on the couch, but thats beside the point)

Anyway. Forget the money problem. Even when I was just a kid, I could come up with a grand if I really wanted something. A grand is nothing. And the fact remains that if you aren't "close" to a dive site, or live in an area where there is easy opportunity to dive, then you are going to have to go "out of your way" to do it, and thus, it will be less attractive and ALWAYS more expensive. However! If you DO live close to a dive site, the cost is SIGNIFICANTLY lower.

Lets assume that ALL the dive sites we go to, where we notice the complete lack of 18-28 year olds does in fact HAVE a population of 18-28 year olds in the direct vicinity, that HAVE the opportunity to dive relatively inexpensively (due to the close proximity to easy diving) but STILL aren't out there diving, We have to assume that these people are CHOOSING to do something else, NOT because of cost, but because they'd rather be doing something else. (and I've already expressed what I think that something else is) Now, that explanation firmly in mind, I think we should all be able to agree that it really ISN'T the money or the cost that is preventing these people from deciding to dive.

Now ALL THAT SAID... I gotta go. I'm 60% way through the new GTA 5 game, and there is some pretty cool virtual diving in it!

What about surfing? Are numbers down significantly there as well?

I'm 60% way through the new GTA 5 game, and there is some pretty cool virtual diving in it!

Please. You're not a REAL diver until you play Treasures of the Deep:

Treasures_of_the_Deep.jpg

I don't post on here a lot, and at 41, I presume I am outside the "young" age group. Since I am just above D.C., the scuba appeal is very low if not non-existent. For me, if I had to depend on diving where I live, it would not happen. I do not like the cold, so the idea of putting on a dry suit or 7 mm suit and jumping in a quarry with low vis is not my idea of fun. Try not to take that the wrong way, I am sure a lot of divers might find that to be a great day, but not me, I am a warm weather reef diver. My local dive sites are a two hour plane ride to get to Key Largo, or I end up in the Cayman's.
The other big issue is that you need a buddy as dedicated to diving as you are, fortunately my wife loves to dive, which means double the cost and toys. That may not be the case for new divers, even if they could afford, family issues could cause a major problem if one dives and the other doesn't.
If you are lucky enough to live in area where you can dive most of the year, the exposure is high and easier to get the interest of new divers. In DC, you have to want to dive, and then go looking for a way to make it happen. In that situation, I guess a lot of possible new young divers might find it easier to do something else.

Back
Top Bottom