why bsac v padi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I looked at clubs from Canada, the UK and even here in the USA I found that some were very receiving regardless of agency affiliation and others were very shall I say selective. The most common thing I saw in regards to an agency thing was the esprit de corp most of it was of a light nature of jestering. There were those who appeared blinded to only one agency having supremacy, for the most part they were ignored. The second most common thing was the need from some club divers who felt the new diver had to prove themselves. I suppose this is a trait of human nature. Truthfully, usually the better divers never fell prey to this and those who sought this higher than thou need of one upmanship made dives only within their ilk

GDI:
When I looked at clubs from Canada, the UK and even here in the USA I found that some were very receiving regardless of agency affiliation and others were very shall I say selective. The most common thing I saw in regards to an agency thing was the esprit de corp most of it was of a light nature of jestering. There were those who appeared blinded to only one agency having supremacy, for the most part they were ignored. The second most common thing was the need from some club divers who felt the new diver had to prove themselves. I suppose this is a trait of human nature. Truthfully, usually the better divers never fell prey to this and those who sought this higher than thou need of one upmanship made dives only within their ilk

GDI,
I think your observation is spot on. I'm PADI trained in warm water and I am making the transition from warm to cold. Sometimes there are people who try to dive beyond their experience (as you have no doubt witnessed yourself at some point ) and to be honest I can often understand the BSAC attitude at times - some warm water divers expect to be able to dive in the UK without the training that BSAC/SAA require - that said it would be a small minority in either case.

DorsetDiver,

In the SAA club I am in, there are some DIR divers and you thought BSAC were bad!!! :)
In all seriousness at club level, divers of all agencies are looking at decent skills and experience to handle cold water - it's not so much a PADI thing but a skills awareness/practice issue. In your case as a DM with UK experience I'd find it annoying - in my case as a tropically trained inexperienced OW bloke I find it refreshing.

It was a BSAC chap who got me interested in UK diving so as others say - it ain't the agency !

Fair one! With the benefit of hindsight I can see that you never REALLY know what a diver is like regardless of whatever the qualification until you see them in the water.
Nice to be back though diving in the UK, just wish my pesky job didnt stop me diving during the week!

BSAC's President is HRH Prince Charles, while PADI is an organization founded by some uppity colonists across HRH's pond. Being a Scot, and nominally one of HRH's subject, it's high treason for you to be certified by the aforementioned uppity colonists. Normally, it would be the Tower for you, but since that's now a tourist destination, BSAC clubs can only give you the cold shoulder. :34:

And that's the truth. Back to work on my conspiracy theory...

Alright Dorset Boy, cant remember if i gave you this website before but will stick it in here for you. No politics and plenty of diving. Give my instructor a wee buzz through the website and let him know you are about, no politics guaranteed, we just spend a lot of time in the water, get in touch.

http://www.central-scuba.co.uk

DORSETBOY:
I learnt to dive through padi, taught through padi and then when I moved back to the uk (having dived frequently in the uk before) got a frosty attitude cos I was a padi diver and not bsac when I wanted to join the local club.

Surely this is going to discourage people from diving in the uk if SOME bsac members are so up themselves.

I'm Padi trained and joined a large bsac club and they really are not bothered whether I even crossover or not!
I would just join the club if I was you and make the most of the boat diving and ignore their frosty attitude it will soon disappear as they get to know you.
I must admit my club is a bit stand-off ish, but I just ignore that and make the most of the diving!

Hi Dorsetboy,

I'm really sorry to hear of your poor experience with local BSAC clubs. This really shouldn't happen, BSAC have spent a lot of time trying to re-educate branches into emphasising that 'diver' is the key description, not the acronym at the front!

Anyway, I don't know where you are in Scotland but you could contact either Doug Smith (BSAC North Scotland Coach) or Sandra Castro (BSAC South Scotland Coach) via the BSAC website (or pm me for contact details) I'm sure they'd be delighted to hear of your experience and perhaps arrange to visit the club in question to investigate their negative attitude. It might not benefit you but could help others in a similar position in future.

Cheers

Oldie

Hi, Dorsetboy. I had similar experience to you. I contacted one club, went to see them one pool night, wanting to get involved and do more training. They were going to get back to me with dates to start. It was set up, then it was postponed. They would get back to me .... I am still waiting and have since done my pADI Rescue Diver and got involved with a PADI set up. You can PM me if you'd like details. In looking for a BSAC club, I also emailed another couple giving some background and got no response at all. All I am looking for is the opportunity to keep skills up to date, further my dive education and dive, dive, dive. My limited experience is that BSAC aren't flexible and responsive though I'm sure there are good clubs out there if you keep looking.

PS - COnger Alley is quite a nice dive in good conditions - not all mud!

More than simple 1 agency vs another from my experience the main gripe is the "2 day wonder" once a year holiday diver.

A PADI diver who learnt and/or dives in the UK seems to be treated fairly well.

A 2 day holiday diver making 3 or 4 a year maximum in foreign clear locations tends to be the one that isnt.

There are obvious reasons for this suspicion and certainly abroad on trips you can tell the once-a-year wonders (occasionally liabilities) vs the more switched on divers easily. Again, this isnt an agency thing, its a diver thing.

Ive heard some other PADI arguments which i half agree with (Their "Advanced" open water needs a name change IMHO) but generally its the diver not the agency that causes the problem.

Do a search on BSAC or Divernet sites for BSAC v PADI and you'll find threads running to 100s of replies and flame wars, the vast majority of which is just handbags with no useful content.

Back
Top Bottom