Why can't ScubaBoard remember my preferences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A way to exclude topics from certain sections from new/recent would be awesome. I'm on the other side of the world from Cozumel, have never been to Cozumel, probably will not go to Cozumel, yet it sometimes feels like every other thread in new/recent is about Cozumel. :wink:

I guess? I haven't ignored any members so I'm not sure how that works (would guess posts within a topic)... While for me, I usually enter the site via "recent" and omnivore-read a lot of topics from various sections -- but some are just not relevant and I'd rather exclude those topics from my recent/new view. I don't know which other views there are that aggregate topics from many sections. It's not that the sections themselves are in any way something that need to be *ignored* as such, I'd just rather not get all topics from them highlighed in the new/recent views.

So there would be no need to restrict you from accessing them via the forum list, you would prefer not to see them in a Recents or New Posts view. True? I can understand that.

I imagine that an interface listing the nearly 500 forums with something like a check box next to each would be required. AFAIK, that would require a higher level of software control, or at least some expensive programming time. Querying the database would be the easiest part. Developing the interface so members could select their "exclude" list and a database to store that data could get pretty involved.

So there would be no need to restrict you from accessing them via the forum list, you would prefer not to see them in a Recents or New Posts view. True?

Precisely this, for me, yes. It may be a niche request and tricky to implement so I would understand it not happening. :)

As for interface I could imagine a simple text box with auto complete, so you could type for section names and then add to a list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom