Why carry mask backwards at surface?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Disclaimer: I've not done any intro-tech or DIR-F course ... but am considering it.

Locally, it seems to vary by shop. Some shops teach divers to put their mask below their chin if it's not over their eyes (at surface, out of water, etc). Others apparently teach to wear it backwards (strap on forehead, mask behind head).

Is the difference really a tech-shop versus non-tech-shop (as it seems)? I suspect that it's because, using a Hog setup, your backup regulator is below your chin. Having the mask below your chin would make that area crowded. The local shops where students or staff wear the masks backwards are the ones which have tech programs.

Personally, I was taught to keep it off of your forehead so it doesn't accidentally get knocked off by a wave and sink :shocked2:. The same thing could happen with a wave hitting you in the back of the head. But, I do see the logic of not cluttering the area.

Appreciate the feedback.

Bri

Shops do not teach divers to wear masks on their foreheads.

Cave divers like wearing their masks backwards as they walk out into their spring ponds. No problems there. Hopefully they will remember to put them on before they descend. No need of a snorkel there either, for a spring pond. For quarries or lakes, the same would be true.

I you are approaching Father Ocean, it is strongly suggested that you have your mask on correctly. That is what shops teach. Because if Father Ocean reaches out and touches you with a rogue wave, you will need your mask on correctly. And preferably your reg or snorkel in your mouth.

Mother Earth is very forgiving, but Father Ocean beats up on his foolish children.

a sign of stress is the diver coming up like a rocket, hitting the surface and screaming and throwing gear. . .
That's one sign. As pointed out by Diver0001 in a recent thread, a sign of stress can also be a diver being very quiet and subdued.

From http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/260067-rescue-diver-theory-vs-practice.html:
Diver0001:
8) Still wondering what happened to Diver #2? Nobody seemed to give it much thought at the time because he appeared calm (albeit subdued) but in fact, this was the DM who had been leading the dive and had just seen one of the people under his charge have some kind of major problem that lead to him drowning. In fact, Diver #2 wasn't calm at all. He was in such a massive state of shock that he collapsed after the fact and had to be taken away by the paramedics. The initial "disagreement" that we saw was in fact Diver #1 screaming at him to do something but he was too stunned to even respond. Remember passive panic from the Rescue course? We all missed it.

Just put it on your forehead where it belongs when not in use and be done with it.

N

As an Instructor I find that many Students/Divers in times of high anxiety tend to pull gear off and want to remove themselves from the high stress situation that their brain is experiencing. Basic human nature fight or flee.

I teach my students this practice because it lets the Dive Master on the boat know that you as a diver are OK and not experiencing a high stress or anxiety moment requiring rescue.

But I always stress that when in the water including climbing back onto the boat always keep your mask on and have access to air whether snorkel or regulator just in case of the unforeseen.

I also teach this technique because it keeps your hands free to balance yourself on the boat and aid in getting to the back of the boat.

Hope this helps.

If I see somebody, with MOF I might give them quick O. K. and if I get O. K. back I know they are fine. If I get a blank stare, I get closer and talk to them. I do not consider MOF a distress signal. Even with a relatively minor problem (negatively buoyant on the surface, kicking hard to stay afloat) I've never seen anyone to put their MOF to get an attention. Waving hands, or a screaming is more likely. To answer the question, I put my mask backwards in the calm water, on my face in the rough water or a teaching situation when I have to have a snorkel.:inquisition:

If I see somebody, with MOF I might give them quick O. K. and if I get O. K. back I know they are fine. If I get a blank stare, I get closer and talk to them. I do not consider MOF a distress signal. Even with a relatively minor problem (negatively buoyant on the surface, kicking hard to stay afloat) I've never seen anyone to put their MOF to get an attention. Waving hands, or a screaming is more likely. To answer the question, I put my mask backwards in the calm water, on my face in the rough water or a teaching situation when I have to have a snorkel.:inquisition:

Removing gear even when in the pool is a common sign of anxiety or stress. It can prove difficult when working as a Dive Master and a Diver is at the surface to make these kind of observations can be difficult unless they are extremely close.

Hi tflaris, my post is not a reaction to what you said. Your post came in as I was typing mine ( my typing skills - OW level). I agree with what you said. I was just generally reacting to MOF being not reliable distress signal. I teach to wave hands to get an attention.

We really need another MOF thread? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom