Why Come to Coz in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Dillehay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Many years ago I figured out that January was absolutely the wrong time to try diving in Cozumel, and I have been pretty vocal where and when I can.

It was January 2001 or 2002 that the port was mostly closed for diving for 21 out of 31 days. Some days large boats were allowed to go out but many highly disappointed people never got to dive on their once a year vacation. Broke my heart. So since then I have advised most to pick May or June or September or October as the safest and best times to dive Cozumel

However in response I devised ways to dive the other side when the port was closed (when the other side was like a lake) and I built a custom 40 ft fast boat as well. But both of those efforts cannot fix the problem when the wind splits the island (like now) and both sides suck.

I don't have specific data, although someone could look it up, but I believe that January is the absolute worst time to come to Cozumel for a "Diving Vacation". Yes, we like to have business in January but I hate to see saddened people who don't get to dive at all…and that happens most Januarys.

The excuse though is that Minneapolis is so bad in January... but everyone in Cozumel is wearing parkas right now. ON the ferry over here today about everyone was throwing up so it is now called the Vomit Comet.

So, based on my 25 years here I will publicly state that January is NOT the time to come to Cozumel to dive. If it just a beach you want, Playa Del Carmen or Cancun is a better choice.

I am ready for the attacks but I have told the truth as I see it and hope it helps in your planning.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

1. I have vacation time I have to burn by the end of January.

2. I came last January for the first time and it was great.

3. I am cheap.

1. I have vacation time I have to burn by the end of January.

2. I came last January for the first time and it was great.

3. I am cheap.

I have no doubt that you can find great January days in Cozumel but the odds are against you. Again I am not trying to drive away business as we all have to eat in January, but I feel compelled to tell it like it is to this forum.

Dave Dilehay
Aldora Divers

Many years ago I figured out that January was absolutely the wrong time to try diving in Cozumel, and I have been pretty vocal where and when I can.

It was January 2001 or 2002 that the port was mostly closed for diving for 21 out of 31 days. Some days large boats were allowed to go out but many highly disappointed people never got to dive on their once a year vacation. Broke my heart. So since then I have advised most to pick May or June or September or October as the safest and best times to dive Cozumel

However in response I devised ways to dive the other side when the port was closed (when the other side was like a lake) and I built a custom 40 ft fast boat as well. But both of those efforts cannot fix the problem when the wind splits the island (like now) and both sides suck.

I don't have specific data, although someone could look it up, but I believe that January is the absolute worst time to come to Cozumel for a "Diving Vacation". Yes, we like to have business in January but I hate to see saddened people who don't get to dive at all…and that happens most Januarys.

The excuse though is that Minneapolis is so bad in January... but everyone in Cozumel is wearing parkas right now. ON the ferry over here today about everyone was throwing up so it is now called the Vomit Comet.

So, based on my 25 years here I will publicly state that January is NOT the time to come to Cozumel to dive. If it just a beach you want, Playa Del Carmen or Cancun is a better choice.

I am ready for the attacks but I have told the truth as I see it and hope it helps in your planning.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Thanks for your honesty. It would be interesting if there was a compilation of exactly how many closed port days there were per month in the past several years.

I lucked out and had no closed port days around Christmas 2017, but I understand the weeks before and after I was there had several days that were closed.

I started ten years ago with my oldest as a "between" college semesters vacation since he didn't take part in the family summer vacations once he hit that age. Of those four trips (each roughly 6 planned days of diving) I think we had two weeks with no issue, one week with one day lost and one week with three days lost.

My family is now used to my "January Dive trip" and the rest of our vacation schedule for the year fills up and I take January.

It has been 6 years (Jan 2012) since I've been back and I actually cancelled at nearly the last minute this week based upon the weather forecast. I'll try to return in late April / May. this year.

In the five January trips since I've been back to CZM:

I've been on a Belize Liveaboard in January and we lost 2.5 days of diving due to very strong winds that had us "hunker down" behind a caye and ride it out.

I've been to the south side of Roatan twice in January and even being on the "protected" side of the island had weather issues, but in general all don't recall losing any dive days. Maybe 1.

I've been to Socorro twice and one trip was perfect and one trip we returned to port roughly 36 hours early due to weather.

Maybe I just pick bad spots or maybe January anywhere in the quadrant of the North / West hemisphere is risky.

:drunks:
Thanks for your honesty. It would be interesting if there was a compilation of exactly how many closed port days there were per month in the past several years.
I lucked out and had no closed port days around Christmas 2017, but I understand the weeks before and after I was there had several days that were closed.
You were extremely fortunate to be there while I was.....it never rains on my parade :drunks:

:drunks:
You were extremely fortunate to be there while I was.....it never rains on my parade :drunks:

Thank you very much! You must advise me when you will be there next so you can assure me good weather! :wink:

This isn't going to help. We still will blame Dave.

I work in the construction industry and the easiest time to shut down the job is the last week of december and the first week of january. The last two years I have been lucky I suppose but while it was a bit cool, at home west of Austin is was down in the teens. I love Cozumel for more than the diving and January is a great time to be there for me.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Attacks from the other dive ops mainly? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom