Why Come to Coz in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He may be thinking of boosters who sometimes shout down or minimize any criticism of the island. For the most part, those tend to be people with no investment beyond the emotional.
FWIW, I see far more comments like yours than I see examples of what you are talking about. There is the occasional troll who comes in here with comments like "Cozumel diving sucks" and "all the Cozumel reefs are dead/destroyed", which generates a lot of backlash (deservedly so, IMO), but in the main what I see here are mostly honest opinions.

Also FWIW, if I had the opportunity to go to Cozumel in January (I have), I would jump on it (I did), but only as an added trip to the one I take every April or May, not a replacement.

I think it is a fair consideration, some people will be disappointed if their tropical dive vacation turns out to be gray and windy.

For me, at the coldest Cozumel in January is still 100 degrees warmer than where I live in Canada.

...And the diving doesn't involve chainsaw even if the waves are a little bigger on a windy day.

All about perspective.
Cameron

January is usually the easiest time for me to get away. I went down a few years ago and was blown out for two days. This was a solo trip and strictly to dive, so I hopped the ferry and got to dive the cenotes and also a bull shark dive in Playa, so at least there are still options. Was in the Keys in February two years ago and was blown out almost the whole time with no options for any diving or anything on the water. Definitely would not go back to the Keys in the winter but would have no problem going back to Cozumel.

No amount of Eagle Rays make up for sitting in a restaurant watching waves and wind screw up your one week dive vacation.
It's a risk. I don't think I have ever been to Coz in the winter. I go in the summer to cool off.

I saw on FB that schools and government offices are close for snow in Austin TX today. Good idea in places where locals don't know how to drive in such.

Last edited:
Here is some factual information regarding January Nortes over the past 5 years - not based on memory or perception, but factual
Data. I only have immediate access to my records for past 5 years - but will pull files from storage for more years .

Jan 2014 - 2 days (4th & 8th)
Jan 2015 - 2 days (24th & 25th)
Jan 2016 - 1 day (17th)
jan 2017 - no port closures in January
Jan 2018 - 3 days (13, 14 & 15)

For clarification - these are days the port was closed for boats under 30’ - So
It’s possible larger boats were out on some of these days.

To answer flyboy - port closure is a confusing term for those who don’t live here - think of it as a small craft advisory - usually affects aquatic activity only. It doesn’t affect ferries unless things are REALLY bad like a tropical storm, or winds over about 50mph

Last edited:
Whiners
I was wearing my hoodie here in Singapore for a couple of days earlier this week. It just warmed up today. Who'd a thunk?

@Christi

Your statistics may be accurate but all these posts are just dogpiling on the issue and making Dave’s case. The more response (posts) this gets, the more discovery it gets.

As for me, I will never be back in Coz in Jan.

Back
Top Bottom