Why did he make such an obvious mistake...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would add that confirmation bias plays a large part in many diving incidents and played a role in the first example the OP presented.

There is another good book that explores bias: "Sway - The irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior"

-Z

Given recent events, I thought this might be a good read for those who want to start blaming someone or something for the death of a diver...along with this article in The Diver Medic magazine - Diver Medic Issue 9 November 2016 - page 38

"Tickling the Dragon and the Blue Flash":

The first is a metaphor that refers to experimenting by careful trial and error how many and what configuration of Tungsten Carbide "tamper" bricks will reflect back enough neutrons to make a fissile sphere of bomb core Plutonium-239 go barely critical as that in a controlled self-sustaining nuclear reactor. The second term above is what happens when you accidentally and grossly overshoot with the core going "prompt critical" --the instantaneous extreme high intensity radiation that is generated actually ionizes the electrons off the Nitrogen molecules in Air surrounding the Plutonium Core and brick pile with the characteristic color of the Blue Flash: if you're standing in close proximity right next to this catastrophic event, you will die an excruciatingly painful slow death by radiation exposure & poisoning within a few weeks.

Back when the final A-bomb assembly was literally a handmade, artisanal product, "Tickling the Dragon", by the original Physicists of the WWII Atomic Bomb Manhattan Project, was akin to making an "eight-story House-of-Cards": you had to be focused, alert and stone sober. (Today this is never done manually up close on a workbench, but by remote control some quarter of a mile distance away). Scientist Harry Krikor Daghlian, "by the end of the war had tickled the dragon so many times that he was at that dangerous point where experience and confidence were so extreme, there was no need to be careful . . .as an Experimental Physicist of the Critical Assembly Group, he did not have the ignorance to be terrified of his tasks.

On August 21 1945, just six days after Japan surrendered to end WWII, Daghlian went back to the lab around 930pm knowing it was against regulations to perform a criticality experiment without an assistant and certainly forbidden to do so after hours. Thirty minutes later, after building a five stack house of Tungsten Carbide bricks around the core, while holding and slowly lowering the top brick in his left hand to cap the structure --he was suddenly startled by the increased sound of the neutron radiation counters through the loudspeakers, and jerked the brick away from the pile, but lost his grip. The Security Guard sitting twelve feet away with his back to the assembly heard the increased neutron counters chatter through the loudspeaker then suddenly go quiet (overloaded & off-scale), along with the clunk of the brick landing atop the pile; and saw the Blue Flash light up the wall in front of him. He amazingly survived.

"Daghlian had caused a problem, and every instinct told him to erase the problem. With his right hand, he knocked off the brick on top of the assembly, glowing a pretty blue, and noticed the tingling sensation of direct sensory neuron excitation. . . He stood there, arms limp by his sides, coming to grips with what had just happened. He decided to dismantle the pile of bricks and calmly told the Security Guard what had occurred. . ."

"Daghlian's right hand endured a high dose of x-rays, gamma rays and high speed neutrons, somewhere on the order of 20,000 to 40,000 rem -it essentially turned necrotic and died two days later; his left hand around 5,000 to 15,000 rem as the brick hit the pile. His body absorbed 590 rem: A fatal dose inducing radiation sickness is usually around 1,000 rem. He slipped into a coma and expired 25 days later, the first victim of acute radiation poisoning to die in history's first mini-disaster of nuclear fission out-of-control." [abridged & taken from Atomic Accidents: A History of Nuclear Meltdowns & Disasters: From the Ozark Mountains to Fukushima, by Jim Mahaffey].
Harry Daghlian - Wikipedia

Hubris -whether a learned Nuclear Physicist or an accomplished Overhead Tech Diver. . . Hopefully you live & learn from your mistakes.

Last edited:
Given recent events, I thought this might be a good read for those who want to start blaming someone or something for the death of a diver...along with this article in The Diver Medic magazine - Diver Medic Issue 9 November 2016 - page 38
The sad thing is most people who comment on a divers death are non divers and it seems that they think that the divers who died were glory hounds and deserved what they got. I think it is sad that they cannot understand that those of us who venture beneath the waves understand, accept and havE trained to mitigate those risks but still sadly sometimes things go wrong. And people die. It is sad but let's face ot every time we dive we go into a hostile eviromemt that we were not meant to go into. We do not have a death wosh or are suicidial we just simply enjoy the sights beneath the waves.

@GLOC Gareth these are especially for you and your flight background (classic aviation case examples). . . comments appreciated!
]

Last edited:
I was hooking up a scientific instrument out on a ship when I noticed the gas hoses were reversed. I thought I was alone, shook my head and said out loud "that was a stupid mistake" I heard a voice from one of the scientists on the other side of the counter and his snarky comment "that's the only kind most people are capable of" I got a good laugh

I heard the CDC was replacing the air supply hoses in their BSL4 labs. The ones where the scientists are in sealed suits being fed air via these hoses. They went back to the original supplier and the supplier told them that these hoses are not suitable for breathing air. Oops

@GLOC Gareth these are especially for you and your flight background (classic aviation case examples). . . comments appreciated!
]

Not to venture off topic too far, but on this topic a book I've been reading is 'The Killing Zone, Second Edition: How & Why Pilots Die'. As a fairly new pilot (and in diving) its good to learn from others mistakes so you dont make the same ones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom