Why did you become a Dive Master?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tuit2302

New
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
For me, Scuba diving was something I always wanted to do. I bought all my gear, everything required for the class plus what I didn't have to have for the class (BC, complete regulator set up, 8 mil wet suit and a wrist computer) all before I ever got wet for the first time. I knew that if I didn't like diving, having paid for all the gear in advance would force me to continue and hopefully enjoy the sport. As soon as the basics ended and went to the deep end of the pool the problems started. Being a virgin in the sport of scuba diving, I made the first newbe mistake. Trying to decend with a lung full of air, needless to say I fought buoyancy they whole time in the pool. During the open water portion, I was still having problems with buoyancy. The Divemaster/Asst- Instructor I had pretty much figured i was a lost cause from all the problems i was having, once we hit the surface he was gone. Needless to say, I was getting discouraged. Another Divemaster came up a little later, spent a little extra time with me with out getting frustrated. What do you know, I got the hang of it.
At that point, I wanted to help the new divers to over come the problems that I had and swore to myself, never do what my 1st Divemaster did to me. I could have easily quit -
Now it's my time to say, Thank You for the patience, I would not be here if not for a good Divemaster.

Funny, I had pretty much the same experience -- I had lots of trouble with my OW class, and I was always the one off in the corner with the DM, trying to master some simple skill. I loved those kind, patient people. I think of that quite often now, when I'm the DM working with someone who is having trouble.

But, to be honest, the biggest reason I became a DM is that my husband had become an instructor, and needed help :)

When i became a DM it was simply a natural progression. When I first started diving, i found myself really excited about it and doing everything I could to get out diving (I still do, but that's a different story). So I would go diving with anyone, and used to frequent every drop-in dive that I could at any dive shop that was putting them on. This resulted in me diving with a lot of different people with a very wide range of skills. I found myself learning from the more talented and experienced people, and helping the troubled divers whenever and however i could. One day while out on a dive with some friends I helped fix a buddies gear that broke, and towed in another buddy when the surge smacked him up against some rocks a couple times... They told me that I was better than most of the Divemaster's they had dove with and told me I should be doing it... I figured it made sense, so I did it...

The easy answer would be because I wanted to be an Instructor.
I felt from the moment I hit the pool in my OW I knew this was something that would change my life. It has in so many ways.
I got my DM shortly after; literally I got OW in October and had finished DM; with minimum dives, by the december. I wouldn't actually use it for another 3 years when I started working in the industry. I have to say though that was when I learnt to be a DM, I discovered how woefully unprepared I was to lead dives and assist course.
There was a steep learning curve, my boss demanded I step up my game and worked my ass for the next 8 months at the shop. When I returned at the start of the following season and a new DM was starting (I had gotten my OWSI) I watched her try and herd the divers as if they were flies. I realised how much control I had developed over the previous and how much more capable I was in leading dives.
I think the same is true for teaching. I don't believe that I really got my OW classes down for the first 2 years of teaching, then I hit my groove.
DM isn't everything though. A friend of mine was on the verge of giving up working part -time as a DM as she found it had little challenge for her. I suggested she take the OWSI and it was the best decision she ever made. She never liked DM-ing but as a teacher she was passionate and intense.
Whatever reasons are posted in this thread, the DM is a step up. Where the step will lead nobody knows, but in taking the course you have decided that you want more from your diving. Enjoy.

For me it was a long time coming. I started diving in 1981 when I was in college. I continued to dive when I had time, but my career came first. After a while a family a house a dog you know all the stuff us Americans think is important. I keep diving when I had a chance usually with my brother. Well a couple of years ago I found I had more time to do things. My Son is grown now in college, my wife has her yoga and book group, and my career is winding down. Don’t get me wrong I have several years before I can retire. I just don’t seem to have to prove myself anymore at work. So I started to dive more and more spending time at the dive shop. When they had a dive scheduled I made sure I was free to go. I found that when I went out with the shop I was one of the divers inexperienced dives gravitated to and I found I enjoyed helping them out. Then I was approached by one of the instructors commenting on how helpful I’ve been to him and to think of becoming a DM. Well that was it second it was put into my head it was all over. Six months later I pasted my tests paid my DM insurance and now I’m helping a couple of instructors with their classes having a great time.

Good luck & Dive safe

I stayed with it for other reasons, but my primary motivation was cost +20%.

First I fell in love with scuba diving. Then I had an opportunity to invest in a little sideline business taking people diving. I figured if I had money invested in the industry I should have the credentials to go along with it, so I became a DM. But deep down I've always been a teacher, so about 6 months after doing my DM, I did the instructor course, and have not looked back since. Now instead of a little sideline business (which ended up not working out anyway), I have a small dive center on a tropical island in the Indian Ocean, and it's all mine!

It was part of the path to Instructor.

I did it the extended version:
One dive season as DMC
One dive season as DM
Completed AI during off-season
1/2 season as AI

I'll be honest I did it solely because it's a check in the box to become an instructor. I found I loved helping out with classes, but I realized right away I'd never be satisfied being an assistant. I took a solid three months to complete it, and did three internships a week, because I wanted to be prepared for the IDC. On it's own it really doesn't hold a lot of value for me because it doesn't let me work independently.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom