• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Why DIN Valves??

Discussion in 'Technical Diving' started by Shcubasteve, Jul 3, 2008.

1. tom_guy

tom_guy Registered

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    My girlfirend recently did here OW course and had a blown O-ring. Looking at buying my own equipment in the near future I might invest in DIN regulators.

[​IMG]

2. Shcubasteve

Shcubasteve Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives:
    WOW. Intense picture there.... My nightmare!!

Thanks for all the input everyone. Its nice to have such a resource at your fingertips.

3. Web Monkey

Web Monkey Omniheurist ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Aside from all the other stuff mentioned here, one of the guys I dive with had a pressurized, turned off stage bottle with a yoke valve.

However the pressure leaked out and when attempting to turn it on, he accidentally unscrewed the regulator.

That was enough to convince me that having two very similar-feeling knobs with very different functions in the same area was a Bad Idea. Recently I switched all my regs to DIN, except for one that I saved for pool work and tropical vacations.

Terry

4. David P

David P Solo Diver

If you get DIN regs, one simple adapter and you can use them on Yoke tanks.
    If you get Yoke regs, you can not use them on DIN tanks (unless they happen to be the 232 valves with an adapter which then adds ANOTHER O-ring....)

5. Druid

Druid Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    There's a good description of the various valves and fittings - with pictures - here

6. DrDuktayp

DrDuktayp Divemaster Candidate

I like the way the DIN regulators look hooked up - nice and clean. I have yoke adapters for when I travel. There is a big allen on the DIN that you have to keep an eye on as if you twist the regulator when you loosen it.

DrDuktayp

7. selarch

selarch New

Just look at the structure, DIN screw in a long way O ring totally buried in the guts of the valve,
    Whereas Yoke has a thin rim of metal with embedded O ring, with a pressure screw in an indent holding it in place .Whack it !which is likely to stand the force and not get dislodge? My answer DIN. Yoke also presents a larger target to Whack.

8. FredGarvin

FredGarvin Contributor

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Excellent comments!

Thanks,

Fred Garvin, M.P.

9. dschonbrun

dschonbrun Contributor

DIN regs cannot be removed when under pressure, Yoke's can. That said, I bought my regs in Yoke because I was diving recreationally, then purchased DIN conversions once I wanted to do Tecnical diving, and purchased one DIN to Yoke for use on recreational k-valves. This system works well for me.

10. jtivat

jtivat Instructor, Scuba

And why do you need to remove a valve under pressure?