Why dive wrecks like Andrea Doria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firewalker

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
The question I have always had about this dive, is why do it? There is nothing there but deep dark cold water, current, and a pile of junk. There is no history there, all the mystery about the wreck has been explored, why do it? Is it the deep dark cold water and current that motivates divers to make this dive? Or is it the pile of junk (if it's the junk, you can walk around any auto wrecking yard and see the same thing at almost no risk)?
I hate to say it, but I think it comes down to bragging rights. I have watched the tech community since the early 90's and you would think after 20 years it would have grown out of this mentality. Dora is not Everest, it's a pile of junk sitting in 200 ft. of current filled, cold dark water. This dive is not worth anyone's life.

The question I have always had about this dive, is why do it? There is nothing there but deep dark cold water, current, and a pile of junk. There is no history there, all the mystery about the wreck has been explored, why do it? Is it the deep dark cold water and current that motivates divers to make this dive? Or is it the pile of junk (if it's the junk, you can walk around any auto wrecking yard and see the same thing at almost no risk)?
I hate to say it, but I think it comes down to bragging rights. I have watched the tech community since the early 90's and you would think after 20 years it would have grown out of this mentality. Dora is not Everest, it's a pile of junk sitting in 200 ft. of current filled, cold dark water. This dive is not worth anyone's life.

some would say that about Everest (or insert any obligatory "high risk" goal)....... None of it is my cup of tea, but if it is what you do, enjoy life. I only fear for those that have to "clean up" after, and the risks they take in their occupations.

afterthought (edit): at least on Everest, they say "screw it" and leave most of the bodies because the risk to relocate them is too much.....

China fever! That's why.

Because you can't find these in your local quarry. doriachina.jpg

Not mine a friend of mine dived a few weeks ago OCS.

Like I said, "China Fever!"

Gary Gentile sells it if you want to buy some. Mainly it's just for memories.

Gary Gentile sells it if you want to buy some. Mainly it's just for memories.
Buying it wouldn't be very impressive though.

Dora is not Everest, it's a pile of junk sitting in 200 ft. of current filled, cold dark water. This dive is not worth anyone's life.

It is certainly not worth anyone's life. But no dive site is.

All wrecks are just a "pile of junk".

Yes, the Doria is not what it once was. The wreck has broken down greatly and the treasures to be found there are becoming harder to find. (not that a bunch of China is "treasure" but you know what I mean)

The "Doria Trip" will always exist as long as people want to witness one of the true great shipwrecks in modern history.

You can call it "bragging rights" if you like but there will always be people that desire to see the thing for themselves and make their own decision about it's history and where that "history" fits into their lives and memories.

Back
Top Bottom