• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Why do Dive Centers and Professionals do it to themselves?

Discussion in 'Business of Diving Institute' started by Industry Outsider, Aug 22, 2019.

1. HKGuns

HKGuns Barracuda

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Ha! #WhyIchosePADI :)

2. divinh

divinh Photographer

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    This was exactly the scenario I recalled when I wrote my response. I might have read Dr. Bill's or one of your posts about LA Co UIA being "unknown", while being one of the firsts.

3. BackAfter30

BackAfter30 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Yeah, my one online experience with PADI was a complete disaster. MUCH happier with SSI online. #WhyIchoseSSI. :)

4. wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Like it or not, PADI's marketing is something that should be studied in B-schools. I've never worked in a startup, but with those that I know in my industry who have, the successful companies were excellent at marketing, regardless of the quality of the product. It comes down to the average customer just not knowing any better. How many people before they start diving come to this website and ask "hey, I'm thinking about getting into scuba diving. Any advice of what to look for?"

I know I didn't. And SB exists LONG before I started diving.

5. The Chairman

The Chairman Chairman of the Board

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    You're missing the point. I don't give them or any other browser any credit. I take ownership of my privacy. I lock those cyber doors and keep all intruders out. I don't even trust those duck people. I trust me. Only me. I hope this helps.

AfterDark and HKGuns like this.
  6. The Chairman

The Chairman Chairman of the Board

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Firefox is my browser of choice, but I still have no script set on stun. It's the malicious scripts that get you. That, and if you have admin privileges, then any malware can bull right in, make itself at home, slow you down and give up all your secrets.

AfterDark and HKGuns like this.
  7. Landau

Landau Divemaster

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I actually think most of the PADI texts are quite good quality learning materials. They are not cheap to create - I'm talking creating the content here, not printing the manuals.

For comparison I have a first aid manual in my hands produced by my provincial worksafe agency that has a page long list of editors with various high level degrees - and it is much worse than the PADI materials.

Jcp2 and HKGuns like this.
  8. HKGuns

HKGuns Barracuda

I agree, I generally found them well written, organized and thought out.

9. HKGuns

HKGuns Barracuda

How long ago was that? There were some glitches, mainly in selecting between IOS vs. computer based learning for me. Otherwise it worked just fine.

10. wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    What do you think of Tor?