Why do I sink?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's not much for up here in cold water, he lives in NY so 14 pounds with a AL80 in a 7mm or drysuit doesn't seem like a lot to me.

Good call. I’m a sissy-pants warm water diver right now. Haven’t yet dared to put my wimpy toes in any cold ponds.

No shame here, my friend. Just good natured fun. Hopefully, by the time I get to Roatan next June, I will down to using only 8 pounds and I'll look all sexy.

There has to be more than that in a 3mil for pool work with a AL80 and a stainless backplate I found 12 pounds right and I'm 185 pounds

Although I agree with @divad, the reason you sink is because you are not actually neutral. The head down may be a trim thing, or a reaction from how you move to invert yourself.

Bob

There has to be more than that in a 3mil for pool work with a AL80 and a stainless backplate I found 12 pounds right and I'm 185 pounds

Everyone is different.

3mm AL80 I wear 7lbs plus 5lb plate

8/6/5 + 7/5 hooded vest, boots, gloves, steel 80 or 100. 8-10lbs + 5 plate

Considering I have only been diving for about a year and I started at 24 lbs for my OW certification, I think I'm just perfect. At least that's what my mother always told me.

i always giggle when I'm poked

Being from New York City, like the OP is, I can only conclude:
1. He's putting you all on.
2. He's jealous of me and Buddha.
Restricting yourself to the ideal horizontal trim espoused on Scuba Board is a waste of the freedom granted you in the three dimensional anti-gravity environment we all love.
Buoyancy control: yes. Horizontal trim: not necessarily.

Horizontal trim might not be "necessary" but if you want to go forward(or backwards) when you kick, as opposed to up or down, it makes a lot of sense.

Back
Top Bottom