why do padi shops not recognize ssi first aid training ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If all you want is a "Master Diver" card why not get one from your local SSI shop? SSI will accept PADI courses and you only need four specialties so you are half way there already. You can do the specialties witha DiveCon instead of an instructor and the dives can be done with your dive buddy. You just show a SSI instructor your dive log and computer, pay the fee, write the test and you are done another specialty.

If all you want is a "Master Diver" card why not get one from your local SSI shop? SSI will accept PADI courses and you only need four specialties so you are half way there already. You can do the specialties witha DiveCon instead of an instructor and the dives can be done with your dive buddy. You just show a SSI instructor your dive log and computer, pay the fee, write the test and you are done another specialty.

hi. thx for the post. that is exactly what i am going to do. as a matter of fact, i just signed up last night for the navigation course. we start tuesday.

in the past, due to my work schedule, i was never able to participate in the local shops classes and weekend dives ect. so my only option to do extra training was on holiday. and because we never seem to be anywhere near another ssi shop, i have taken the padi adv and nitrox.
but recently my work has drastically changed and i can now take classes after work or weekends. so i am hoping to finish the nav course as soon as the waters warm up a tad. lol and then will consider what to do for a fourth course. like you said, apparently ssi only requires 4 specialties to achieve their advanced level. then add the stress and rescue along with cpr/first aid/aed and you are master status (as long as you have 50 logged dives or more).

Rick - you've still not clarified whether your first aid/CPR cert is "current"? (That is, within the last 2 years.)

Rick - you've still not clarified whether your first aid/CPR cert is "current"? (That is, within the last 2 years.)

when i originally was trying to arrange to do the padi rescue diver course on holiday i absolutely was current. but that was quite a while ago so i have to take it again.
when i took it the first time i was going to try and do the ssi stress and rescue locally (eventhough it would have been really tough with my work sched at the time) but after visiting my local shop three times over a 12 to 18mth period asking when we could do it, and being told to "come back in the spring, come back in the fall....."ect, i just gave up.
it kinda sucks to have to do it again but i figure it will just reinforce all the skills that much more. i just hope they teach the same techniques. in canada, they seem to change their minds a lot on the best way to do cpr.

when i originally was trying to arrange to do the padi rescue diver course on holiday i absolutely was current. but that was quite a while ago so i have to take it again.
it kinda sucks to have to do it again but i figure it will just reinforce all the skills that much more. i just hope they teach the same techniques. in canada, they seem to change their minds a lot on the best way to do cpr.

I am not sure what you are saying here. Are you saying that sucks to be required to have current skills? Are you saying you hope they teach you outdated methodology instead of the latest thinking?

The changes are one of the reasons for wanting training to be from an approved agency rather than a brother-in-law who counseled first aid merit badge in 1968. Approved agencies are part of ILCOR, and when they change, they all change around the world so that everyone is learning the same thing.

I am not sure what you are saying here. Are you saying that sucks to be required to have current skills? Are you saying you hope they teach you outdated methodology instead of the latest thinking?

The changes are one of the reasons for wanting training to be from an approved agency rather than a brother-in-law who counseled first aid merit badge in 1968. Approved agencies are part of ILCOR, and when they change, they all change around the world so that everyone is learning the same thing.

lol......i have to remember that sarcasm does not translate well (or at all) in the written form. sorry about that.

of course it is of the most benefit to have the latest and most current version of all the first aid and cpr trainingavail. it is kind of a running joke at our house because my wifes job requires her to take these every two years. and it seems each time they teach the course, they change the methods. it is not that she doesn't want to learn it, it's just that it seems a bit comedic. especially when they finish having you re-learn everything differently that they just taught you a couple of years earlier and then give you the statistics about how few people are actually ever saved by someone performing cpr anyway.

and what i meant by saying it kinda sucked to do it all over again was that up here, once we take the full course (2 days) we only need to take a refresher course to renew our cert. but once it actually expires (it is valid for 3 years here) then you must take the full course again.

please remember......it isn't like i have a job that requires me to use these type of skills on a daily basis. i am only doing these courses as a hobby. if i were in a position of responsibility over other divers (DM or instr for example) or in the health care field ect i would be more than eager to take what ever courses were required to keep me as up to date as possible. i actually believe anyone in these positions should have to do a refresher course anually.

i hope that makes my feelings a bit clearer. thx for sharing your thoughts.

So when all is said and done, it turns out that the title of this thread should be "Why won't PADI shops accept out of date certifications for first-aid/CPR" or essentially "Why won't PADI shops let me take a class for which I specifically do not meet the prerequisites?"

please remember......it isn't like i have a job that requires me to use these type of skills on a daily basis. i am only doing these courses as a hobby.

Yeah, that's kinda why they want your certs for these skills to be current. Go figure, huh?

So when all is said and done, it turns out that the title of this thread should be "Why won't PADI shops accept out of date certifications for first-aid/CPR" or essentially "Why won't PADI shops let me take a class for which I specifically do not meet the prerequisites?"

Yeah, that's kinda why they want your certs for these skills to be current. Go figure, huh?

If I read correctly at the time he was trying to go to "PADI" shops to get cert'd his CPR/AED was current but after the run around and by the time his vacation time aligned it was outta date.More than likely if the PADI shops were out of the country they may have been questioning whether the SSI CPR cert was of an agency excepted by PADI for a 1st aid cert.(AHA,OSHA accepted cert).
And it is kind of a pita to get cetr'd every 2 to 3 years but every time I do I learn something new (better) And when it comes to life & death whether its your or someone elses ,"Better" is always good.

i know i am new here, but i have been a member of different types of forums in the past. and i am not sure why there is always some people who are bent on the idea of finding fault with other members or there posts. but it seems there may be some of them here as well.

please allow me to say this one last time.......when i was searching for a shop to do my rescue course on one of my past holidays i held a "valid and current certification" at that time. the padi shops i spoke to at that time, told me that i had to hold a padi EFR certification to do the their rescue diver course. they would not accept my current and valid cpr/first aid/aed certification that was issued by my local ssi shop where i recieved that training. that is why i started the thread. i wanted to try and understand if it was a padi policy to not accept ssi first aid courses (or any others for that matter - red cross,st johns ambulance ect that are all accepted course providers where i live) or simply the result of individual padi shops wanting to force me to take an extra course i shouldn't have to, simply to make more money.
i posted the thread is the ssi section because i thought there would be an ssi rep that might be able to shed some light on this. perhaps i should have posted it in the padi section (if there is one??)
i appologise to other members if i was not clear enough in previous postings. at this point i feel i have recieved all the info i require and i thank everyone who contributed.

---------- Post added May 18th, 2012 at 01:29 PM ----------

If I read correctly at the time he was trying to go to "PADI" shops to get cert'd his CPR/AED was current but after the run around and by the time his vacation time aligned it was outta date.More than likely if the PADI shops were out of the country they may have been questioning whether the SSI CPR cert was of an agency excepted by PADI for a 1st aid cert.(AHA,OSHA accepted cert).
And it is kind of a pita to get cetr'd every 2 to 3 years but every time I do I learn something new (better) And when it comes to life & death whether its your or someone elses ,"Better" is always good.

thank you

i know i am new here, but i have been a member of different types of forums in the past. and i am not sure why there is always some people who are bent on the idea of finding fault with other members or there posts. but it seems there may be some of them here as well.

please allow me to say this one last time.......when i was searching for a shop to do my rescue course on one of my past holidays i held a "valid and current certification" at that time.

I think the issue is that it wasn't clear in your original post that it was "some time ago" that you were looking into this. Perhaps the shops you checked with just aren't fully aware of what they can and cannot accept as equivalences so they don't accept anything as equivalences.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom