why do padi shops not recognize ssi first aid training ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

first....thx to you and boulder both for your comments

i appreciate and understand the point you are making. only difference i would point out in my case is that i did not recieve training at "smileys dive shop" (lol.....can i use that name if i ever open my own shop?) it was done by a fully acredited instructor in canada that was trained and has practiced extensively at an SSI dive shop that is owned and operated by an SSI platinum pro 5000 dive instructor. i also carried the paperwork to prove it. if it was acceptable in all of canada, i would hope it would be recognised as legit elsewhere, even if the padi shop i was contacting for rescue training did not agree 100% with all canadian standards.

perhaps a better question to ask (and perhaps it has been asked before, so sorry if it has) is, why are there not universal standards when it comes to cpr/first aid procedures and training. especially if it is specifically scuba related training. at least a common north american standard should be something that could easily be agreed upon ?? no ?? maybe not. but that would solve a lot of the issues brought up. maybe SSI and PADI should get in a room together and come to an understanding for common efr training for the good of all divers. or is that just too unrealistic ?? i think it would be a benefit to both agencies and their respective trainees.

Well Boulderjohn provided a good link to answer your question about CPR. As far as why they do or do not accept one or the others certifying agency is it simply boils down to the fact they issue the card so they decide on what they will take.

Also though I said this once earlier in the thread dont be afraid to be certified by more then one instructor or agency. If it ever does come down to the wire which mine did it only makes it look better on your part and kind of eliminates the question of how well did you listen and did you forget between certs.

Saving lives and attempting to save lives is never something to take lightly and once your in the fight for ones life its too late to get the training. The more you practice something and the more prepared you are the better your chances of a successful outcome are.

i originally was certified by nasds back around 1990. they of course are now ssi. i also have done the padi advanced course and nitrox specialty. i also just completed an ssi cenote specialty. i had been contacting different padi shops to get info on possibly working towards the master diver certification. one requirement after doing 5 specialties is to complete the rescue diver course along with their EFR course. i have always been under the impression that ssi and padi would recognize each others training courses. but when i advised the padi shops that i had completed my first aid/cpr/aed course through my local ssi dive shop, they all said they would not accept that in place of the padi EFR course.

They're just being dicks because they want your money.

Call their bluff and go somewhere else.

flots.

at the risk of sounding like an idiot.......i am not familiar with the above agency. but if cpr/first aid training was truly governed by a universally accepted agency, then why would someone like kellis have to be retrained by three different ones. this makes no sense to me. although i understand the point that "the more training the better" is valid. especially for someone who truly is dealing with peoples lives on a regular basis. i would have thought once someone is certified by one organization, it would be recognized by all. if not, then there really is no universal standard.
it sounds to me (and i really know nothing about how all this works so my opinion means nothing) that there are a ton of organizations out there making a bunch of money by insisting people be retrained to collect a cheque. if everyone in north america was trained in the same manner and practiced the same techniques there would be no reason for any employer (or dive shop) not to accept your cert as long as it is current.
just my opinion.....nuff said on that

---------- Post Merged at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:31 PM ----------

They're just being dicks because they want your money.

agreed. thx

at the risk of sounding like an idiot.......i am not familiar with the above agency. but if cpr/first aid training was truly governed by a universally accepted agency, then why would someone like kellis have to be retrained by three different ones.

I am replying in generic terms and not in relation to any of the agencies mentioned in this thread.

The word "governed" is a bit strong, because it implies police power. ILCOR has no police power. Agencies that teach CPR may voluntarily follow ILCOR standards. Sometimes they don't. If they don't, well, what can ILCOR really do?

Next, think of how easy it would be to form your own agency (maybe with only one person) teaching CPR. Someone could do it this afternoon without having heard of ILCOR. You can be sure that certain well known agencies follow ILCOR guidelines, but not so sure with others.

at the risk of sounding like an idiot.......i am not familiar with the above agency. but if cpr/first aid training was truly governed by a universally accepted agency, then why would someone like kellis have to be retrained by three different ones. this makes no sense to me. although i understand the point that "the more training the better" is valid. especially for someone who truly is dealing with peoples lives on a regular basis. i would have thought once someone is certified by one organization, it would be recognized by all. if not, then there really is no universal standard.
it sounds to me (and i really know nothing about how all this works so my opinion means nothing) that there are a ton of organizations out there making a bunch of money by insisting people be retrained to collect a cheque. if everyone in north america was trained in the same manner and practiced the same techniques there would be no reason for any employer (or dive shop) not to accept your cert as long as it is current.
just my opinion.....nuff said on that

Well I dont know why they do the things they do. Really all I can say is its kind of like your home (And this is by no means a comparison to saving a life so this is not intended to compare the two) but you have a choice of alarm companies to choose from. They all claim to do the same and in my state they are required to meet the same standards and be licensed by the state. Some want company A and simply detest Company B. Others vice versa.

I do detest having to retrain 3 times every 2 years but hey one time in the court room and I was thinking God I did.

update.....just completed my navigation dives on saturday. beautiful day to be in the water. 70 degree water at the surface, but dropped into "yikes" once below the thermocline. lol
did a buddy dive where we took turns using the compass and tracking the time. did a reciprocal course, two triangles, and two square runs. for my runs i was up off the bottom in about 6 foot vis and ended bang on the spot where we started. whoo hoo !! found it to be an interesting experience. swimming with no visual references and following only the heading on the compass is something i have never done. kinda like flyin a plane at night. lol aced the test (pretty simple). so all is good.
gotta decide now which specialty to try next. thinking underwater photography. i could use some serious help learning how to use the manual functions on my camera.
then it is strees and rescue time after retaking the cpr/first aid/aed course.

new update......due to my local dive shops scheduling it looks like i will be doing my stress and rescue sooner than i thought. just signed up last night. got the book and video etc and am starting my required reading tonight. we hit the pool on tuesday. not sure what to expect but i am hoping it will be a mix of fun and learning some serious new skills.

This is an old thread, but I did want to add that my comment about "They're just being dicks and want your money" was based on you having taken a current class within the required time period.

If you took the SSI class a few months ago, and the PADI shop won't take it, they're just screwing with you. If you took it 3 years ago, then it's expired (and has changed) and they're right to require that you take it again.

flots.

Why don't you apologize for that comment. I have received nothing but excellent training from PADI and nothing but garbage from training with SSI. It burns my A** that people run down PADI when I have found them to be much better than SSI.

This is an old thread, but I did want to add that my comment about "They're just being dicks and want your money" was based on you having taken a current class within the required time period.

If you took the SSI class a few months ago, and the PADI shop won't take it, they're just screwing with you. If you took it 3 years ago, then it's expired (and has changed) and they're right to require that you take it again.

flots.

I have received nothing but excellent training from PADI and nothing but garbage from training with SSI. It burns my A** that people run down PADI when I have found them to be much better than SSI.

Whether or not the OP was being screwed over by the PADI shop depends entirely on whether the SSI certification was rejected for a legitimate reason (expired, class content changed, etc.) or simply because the PADI shop wanted the money.

Why don't you apologize for that comment.

Because there is nothing to apologize for.

flots.

just a quick clarification to the above two posters as i know most readers would not have read this whole thread.
flots - my post #19 in this thread probably sums up best what i was trying to say.
iguana - it was never my intention to slam padi or to pit ssi divers against padi. i have recieved some good training from both ssi shops and padi shops. it was simply an honest attempt at asking if and why a number of padi shops would not recognise what was (at the time) a valid equivalent ssi course.

i hope that answers your concerns. thx for the interest.

---------- Post Merged at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:40 PM ----------

new update......due to my local dive shops scheduling it looks like i will be doing my stress and rescue sooner than i thought. just signed up last night. got the book and video etc and am starting my required reading tonight. we hit the pool on tuesday. not sure what to expect but i am hoping it will be a mix of fun and learning some serious new skills.

just in case anyone is interested......i completed all pool sessions. reviewed all chapters in the book. completed an intro to O2 providing. still need to complete open water requirements. that may have to wait until next spring/summer now. :(

we will also be doing what i understand is an newly adopted first aid portion of the course. it is a "React Right" course. it is a compilation of firstaid, O2, AED, training which more specifically addresses scuba related situations. hopefully the shop will have me doing this portion asap.

Back
Top Bottom