Why do people kick like this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some people with joint problems can’t do a frog kick where both legs rotate out and then “clap” together.

An alternative is to rotate them in the same direction which is much easier to do.

It's really weird the way he twists his knee...

That looks like a sidestroke kick. The modified sidestroke kick is very powerful. It's used by lifeguards when carrying another swimmer.
Doesn't that kick have both feet "facing" the same direction?

@guruboy But here they actually have both feet facing each other somehow.
upload_2018-4-19_8-25-30.png

And I can't understand how the human anatomy allows for this, it is very hard for me to try and get my feet in such a position, let alone trying to apply force on the fins.

Doesn't that kick have both feet "facing" the same direction?

And I can't understand how the human anatomy allows for this, it is very hard for me to try and get my feet in such a position, let alone trying to apply force on the fins.
I just tried it and it kills my hip flexors lol.

The diver in the video is a woman though, so she might just have really flexible joints.

one ours very famous instructor demonstrate here this swimming style: (from 2:00)
we call this swimming "Eydis style" :) by his name, and disseminating widely this style.

and from 3:45 he demonstrate reversed frogkick.

Last edited:
I'm assuming injury

Does anyone know what, how and why people would kick like this? at 7:40

I see it regularly, but I seriously can't understand what they're trying to do.
They are clearly looking for clams.

Does anyone know what, how and why people would kick like this? at 7:40

I see it regularly, but I seriously can't understand what they're trying to do.

It appears to be a frog kick whereby the diver is using the top of the fin to push against the water. I've never tried it so I can't really compare it to a normal frog kick.

R..

Back
Top Bottom