Why do solo divers need a long hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
I've seen a lot of self-proclaimed solo divers that feel the need to use a long hose. Just wondering what the rationale is.

You've heard a lot from the others about configuring the same each time. I have about seven different regulators, two sets of twins, one UDS-1 System, and four singles. I dive a lot solo, and am rarely configured the same dive to dive. Many of my regs are vintage, and sometimes I dive them on a single 72 with a J-reserve. The UDS-1 is the only system set up with a long hose, and I'm not real comfortable wraping that hose around my body; this is probably from my USAF parascuba days, when I did not want anything that could pull against my neck and not break. Unreasonable as it seems, I remember dive shops demonstrating single hose regulator strength by cutting the hose half in two, and then hooking it up to a car and pulling another car with it.

So the short answer to you question is that you don't need a long hose and octopus to dive solo. You need a well-maintained regulator and a dependable system. If you dive over 30 feet depth (or under overhead obstructions such as ice, caves or wrecks), then look to redundancy.

SeaRat

[I've seen a lot of self-proclaimed solo divers that feel the need to use a long hose. Just wondering what the rationale is.]

As a self-proclaimed solo diver I dive the same system every dive. I dive alone more often then not. I guess the self proclaimed part comes from not having a solo diving "C" card ?

But for those who do use a longer hose I would bet it is the same way they dive all the time. If you ever do get caught and need to remove your harness you will be glad you have a longer hose.

Cheers
Derek

wolf eel:
As a self-proclaimed solo diver I dive the same system every dive. I guess the self proclaimed part comes from not having a solo diving "C" card ?

Cheers
Derek

I was wondering about the "self-proclaimed" part too. Did you do it from a hilltop or just mutter to yourself.

Soggy:
What I meant was vs. people who are really solo diving but don't know it (i.e. same ocean buddies). No offense meant.

No offense taken. Great distinction which begs the question:
which is worse? (please pardon the grammer. This isn't about grammer)

Soggy:
What I meant was vs. people who are really solo diving but don't know it (i.e. same ocean buddies). No offense meant.

No offense taken. Great distinction which begs the question:
which is worse? (please pardon the grammar)

This thread title sounds like an X-rated bumper sticker. "Solo Divers have..." well, you get it.

=Steve=

Soggy:
Same ocean buddy is much worse....a true solo diver at least understands that there is no one to help them out should the feces hit the oscillator.

SOB is at least twice as bad.

I once needed to get out of a U-boat very quickly (a whole other story) and the quickest way out (forward torpedo loading hatch) wouldn't fit me with my gear on. This was long before the days of the long hose, but I never forgot this incident. Having a long hose then would have made the procedure much more manageable. Ever since I switched to the long hose for cave diving (where I always dive with a buddy) I have kept the long hose configuration for all my diving, most of which is solo wreck dives. I have yet to think of any dis-advantages...

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom