Why do we bash each other?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeorgeC

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Lanoka Harbor, New Jersey and Ft. Lauderdale, FL
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been a member of SCUBA board for quite some time now. I understand there is no “right” way to do everything here or underwater. We all have a set of guidelines/standards we follow from the various training agencies. Divers feel comfortable and adopt equipment, techniques and practices that suit their needs and style of diving. I am not posting to pick the differences nor debate what one agency has over another….that is not what this post is about.

We all benefit as a group from these differences as we share information with one another. New divers are given the forum to ask questions and get advice on options where they can gain a better understanding of how things work. Or, give them the necessary background information to ask more specific and educated questions to create a more succinct dialog with their LDS.

Experienced divers are given the opportunity to share a wealth of information and find ways to improve their knowledge and see another side to the way they dive, set up equipment and etc. All in all we utilize the Internet to broaden our knowledge and to speak to someone half way around the world as if they are sitting on the couch next to us or on the dive boat across from us.

Here is the question..Why in the world from time to time, more frequent than less, do we bash the crap out of each other with crass remarks and holier than thou attitudes, making fun of one another and exclaiming this is the only and right way to do things? I wonder if we were on a dive boat would we say the same thing?
Or, would you politely voice concerns or remarks? What about if we were in our LDS answering questions or training a diver? How would we act? I think it is too easy to conduct ourselves in a less than human way hiding behind the tool that gives us the freedom to learn from one another. I realize we are allowed and encouraged to speak our minds. However, would we have the nerve to speak our minds negatively if were face to face.

I wonder how many divers are afraid to post because of the fear of being bashed and just lurk. Too bad we don’t have a Un-Thank you rating to classify those posters who consistently are sarcastic so we would know what to expect just by looking at there profile.

This poster has said "Un-Thank You" to GeorgeC for this un-useful post.

It's the internet. The written word is far more difficult to decipher than the spoken word, and without seeing facial expressions or hearing voice inflections, it is very easy to think someone is jacking you up, when they aren't, or mean a mild jab. Worse, most of these folks know that no one will ever see them in the real world, therefore, there is no need for social etiquette.

What is more scary, wait until you meet some of these folks in the real world. I am convinced that part of the collapse of American society comes from the ceaseless chatter on the internet, and my observations that folks no longer feel the need to be civil to each other. I find myself saying things on chat boards that I would never say in real life, and that that attitude slops over into real life, too. I am at Christmas with my mom for the first time in 30 years. She was surprised at the eloquence that I showed when meeting strangers. I guess that means that I act like a butthole when I am around folks familiar to me. Guess I need to look at that.

Merry Christmas....

Frank

Because it is human nature to pick on people different than us.

A simple answer,

Anonymity empowers some, and the board give them that ability.

Last edited:
There is very little of that actually taking place, George. Folks complain about it more often than it actually happens.

Shouldn't this thread be in Whine & Cheese?

I agree with all of the above. Most of us are probably guilty of some of it at one time or another. I've noticed times when a question is asked and a reply may criticize the OP for even considering asking the question, rather than simply answering it. Also, there is the "no stupid questions" thing. Then someone proceeds to criticize the OP for not realizing how inexperienced he/she really is for asking such a stupid question. But, I guess we can all learn stuff even from those who offend, and hopefully take them with a grain of salt.

It makes the monitors feel like they are doing something usefull.

a lot of arrogance in the dive world

Why would someone be afraid of something said on the internet? Folks, it really isn't that serious... it's the internet!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom