Why do you like diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To me it's the thought of doing something only a handfull of people in the world enjoy. It's sort of "going on safari" and I can do it as often or as little as I want. It's also one of the best ways to balance relaxation and exercise at the same time.

Forgetting you even have a life above the surface! I dread the moment they invent underwater cell phones ;(

Scuba Leon:
Forgetting you even have a life above the surface! I dread the moment they invent underwater cell phones ;(
I once tried an underwater communications device at "The Forty Fathom Grotto" It was neat being able to talk underwater and I could see how it would be a good thing at times, but it did destroy the tranquility of the dive. My dive partner just wouldn't shut up and really used up a lot of air. Diving with your significant other is more romantic when you just communicate with your eyes.

1) I love being in the water
2) You can bend and move in every which way.
3) The peace
4) The view
5) The excitement and the challenge
6) Discovering
7) The community and the camaraderie

No nagging.

Oh, and I get to wear rubber. :11:

The community and the camaraderie.

Yes, there is something special about being with others who share our love/insanity. Felt it again last weekend - opn the boats, around the motel at 7am when I did my cell-phone muster, at dinner, and now as we post about the experiences.

There were several boats moored on the Duane when a diver from my boat surfaced in trouble. I didn't know the fellow, but everyone on site was concerned about our brother. The first boat that could, retrieved the body and sped to shore, radio and cell-phones in action to alert the Coast Guard and activate EMS. And we were all happy to hear later that he was well enough to argue with the staff at the hospital about spending the night. :D

Being one with the fish.
Or just being the fish.

It is completely out of this world.
I really had no idea what I got myself into until actually diving.
Diving is something that can not be described in words and must be done to truly appreciate it the experience.

Not sure I can put it into words. But I would guess the crack addiction comparison is pretty close. It's an obsession! Can't get enough of it! Closest body of divable water is a 3 hour drive (and by divable I mean not against the law to dive it, some of you may not think it divable--0 viz) and we still manage to drive there every couple of weeks if we're not diving somewhere else. Why do we do it? Just to be underwater breathing through a reg. Yes, even being in a pool provides a little bit of a fix. Hey, have you heard they think they found Atlantis? I think we need to move! It's not any one thing. It's everything--the caves, the wrecks, the fish, even the rocks in the lakes we dive and the occasional catfish we might see every 1/2 dozen dives (can you believe there are fish down there?!?!?!?). Good thing we're diving Saturday, it's time for a fix! Oh forgot to mention the missile silo--not much to see down there, but it's a dive!

The incredible peace it brings me, together with all the amazing life and grace...

Back
Top Bottom