Why does every new diver want to be an instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robertarak

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have seen hundreds of posts that read something like, "I would like to learn to dive and become an instructor", or "I got certified last weekend and want to open a dive shop". Why do so many people feel the need to be an instructor in an activity that they are either very, very new to, or not even certified in? Why do so many new, or not even certified divers think that they could or should move in to the professional side of diving. Would they have hired an instructor to train them that started diving last month and just made the minimum required dives while on vacation to go from zero to hero? It drives me nuts!

I think it may be time to take a break from internet diving.

Last edited:
I am just taking a wild guess here, but this is my view on the subject:

They have obviously seen me at some time or another and wishing to prove their worthyness have decided to go a step above and beyond what I have done. Since I am not an instructor they feel that is the only viable option.

It is entirely possible that I am mistaken in my opinion though.

It is because they have been exposed to something that is totally awesome and life changing. No great mystery. Not saying it is the smartest move for everyone, but I understand the drive. Hey, they may have just had the most life changing experience of their lives and want to share it with others. Hard to challenge that - it's what got me into the professional side of things.

The industry is more than willing to accommodate them, isn't it? The standard "progression" of certifications that dive shops offer leads to divemaster and instructor, generally, and that has been the case for quite some time. They may not have caused the phenomenon you describe, but they're certainly complicit.

When I got my "scuba diver" certification from the YMCA, I thought I was finished with certifications (and I was almost correct).

Based on my experience it also has a lot to do with the marketing crap that is shoved down people's throats to take class after class. Being told before they even finish OW that they're naturals and should think about becoming a DM. As they kneel to do skills. And are fed the lie that instructors are in high demand. And that you can make a great living in exotic places and enjoy the laid back lifestyle. Horse hockey! Makes the puppy mills go round.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Because they don't yet comprehend the truth...

Divemasters get all the chicks.

Based on my experience it also has a lot to do with the marketing crap that is shoved down people's throats to take class after class. Being told before they even finish OW that they're naturals and should think about becoming a DM. As they kneel to do skills. And are fed the lie that instructors are in high demand. And that you can make a great living in exotic places and enjoy the laid back lifestyle. Horse hockey! Makes the puppy mills go round.

Never heard any of that and I admit I had no interest in becoming an instructor or DM or any of that. Which is odd since in general I love to teach. Guess when it comes to diving I am too self center and into it for my own pleasure!

For the same reason little boys want to be firemen and little girls want to be princesses. They are fascinated by the lifestyle and admire the adults in those situations. The difference is that when it comes to scuba, the fantasy dream is within reach of making real, but then later they wake up and find out that it's a tough lifestyle to live, with low pay and sweaty work, and there is less glamor to it than they imagined.

Pretty much spot on. The pyramid scheme business model that passes for dive education ensures this.

Back
Top Bottom