Why does every new diver want to be an instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At work I mentor apprentices in a trade. Some of that does carry over into my diving. I'm always looking out for those with less experience. To some this may be a good trait towards being an Instructor. For me while diving it takes away from my pleasure. Makes me not dive charters much and stick to a close few who I can relax with knowing their competence level. Been prodded a few times to become at least a DM. Think they say it just to hear me say no way. I'm with those who see the rewards not worth the risk. Diving is my escape.
To the point of going from zero to instructor. Know a few. Even played victim for their Rescue classes. I don't really see a problem with it. They are only teaching 6 grade level material at minimum standards to mostly adults. OW is like a learners permit for diving. I give people a little credit.. A little.. IMHO who one chooses to dive with after cert plays just as much if not more of an important role in how competent a diver becomes.

I remember my OW instructor saying to me "don't become an instructor, the pay's sh*t".

Didn't work.

At work I mentor apprentices in a trade. Some of that does carry over into my diving. I'm always looking out for those with less experience. To some this may be a good trait towards being an Instructor. For me while diving it takes away from my pleasure. Makes me not dive charters much and stick to a close few who I can relax with knowing their competence level. Been prodded a few times to become at least a DM. Think they say it just to hear me say no way. I'm with those who see the rewards not worth the risk. Diving is my escape.
To the point of going from zero to instructor. Know a few. Even played victim for their Rescue classes. I don't really see a problem with it. They are only teaching 6 grade level material at minimum standards to mostly adults. OW is like a learners permit for diving. I give people a little credit.. A little.. IMHO who one chooses to dive with after cert plays just as much if not more of an important role in how competent a diver becomes.

There have been a lot of good responses, speaking to both sides of this conversation. The fact that someone CAN go from zero to hero is, as I see it, the problem. A GOOD instructor will train to a higher level then the bare minimum. A GOOD instuctor will invest the time to make their students divers, not just get them through. The problem is that you just don't have to be good to be an instructor. This ends up with instuctors who have only minimum skills training divers to have only minimum skills.

This thread was sparked by some things I saw, read and heard that made me want to speak out. Thank you all for participating in my rant and having a civil discussion.

Many people want to constantly progress in what they are doing, so for many it's a natural progression. I've thought about it, but I was only mildly interested. With that said, I would love to be an instructor to teach family and friends to get them involved in the sport. However, I have no interest in doing it for a living. I think the quickest way to ruin a hobby that you enjoy would be to make it a true career. I don't ever want something I love to do to feel like a grind or to stress me out. I'm sure some people don't feel this way in their respective industries, but many do. In short, I could see myself becoming an instructor one day to further advance my skills and have the ability to teach family and friends, but that's as far as I would want to go with it.

Why do so many people feel the need to be an instructor in an activity that they are either very, very new to, or not even certified in?

... money for nuthin' and your chicks for free ...

Everybody needs a dream.

Most instructor training classes include in their curriculum how to sell continuing education ... because con ed classes are way more profitable than OW, and they keep people coming into the dive shop.

I tell people who ask not to consider becoming an instructor because you love diving ... teaching is work, and all you'll succeed at doing is turning something you love into work. Good instructors are good because they love teaching ... therefore it doesn't feel like work ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I am in the, "I want to dive not teach diving" group. With 9 dives in my log so far, teaching is not even in game plan. I do want to continue my education and become a better diver. Go pro??? Not a chance!!! You guys have to put up with knuckleheads that no more than you do. I am not even interested in dealing with people like that. As one OP said, they have played victim for a rescue class. I could do that I think but not be the instructor. Overall, I have to agree with Robert on the Zero to Hero philosophy but you do have to start somewhere so get some experience first then start to think about where you want to go in diving. For me, it is the Carribbean with my wife, and Kona, and Truk Lagoon and and and and...:wink:

I am in the, "I want to dive not teach diving" group. With 9 dives in my log so far, teaching is not even in game plan. I do want to continue my education and become a better diver. Go pro??? Not a chance!!! You guys have to put up with knuckleheads that no more than you do. I am not even interested in dealing with people like that. As one OP said, they have played victim for a rescue class. I could do that I think but not be the instructor. Overall, I have to agree with Robert on the Zero to Hero philosophy but you do have to start somewhere so get some experience first then start to think about where you want to go in diving. For me, it is the Carribbean with my wife, and Kona, and Truk Lagoon and and and and...:wink:
If you are an Instructor with overhead wreck diving experience and can speak fluent Chinese, there will be very soon additional teaching & dive guide positions waiting for you in Truk Lagoon.

Zero to hero starting in 5 seconds . . 4 . . .3. . .

Every new diver is shell shocked at first and wants to live the dream that the industry portrays.
However in a few seasons spent climbing the training ladder one learns what it means to be a dive trainer.
My only hang up with the whole process is the mentorship VS. fast track role play.
If you really want to be an instructor you should take at least one season to assist training.
The glamor will fade and you will be able to understand what really is important and how serious it truly is.

Being a instructor is more than what first meets the eye!
If you are going to be a good one then join the throng of diver mills that flood the waters.
If you are going to be a GREAT instructor then you are going to make little money for the time you spend!
I have seen both but chose to assist only those who were GREAT!
I learned that training comes is many faces and not always should you judge harshly till you see their skills demonstrated.

We all have dive goals and they will change over time as we do to.
What remains the same is our desire to continue to train and master our dive technique in our chosen goal oriented direction.
And the sad truth the fall out rate of vacation divers or less goal oriented divers is higher than we want to acknowledge.
Thus the drive for the industry to campaign for new divers which drives the machine.
I am not knocking it just stating my observations / opinions.
It is what it is and it keep the cogs of diving turning.
If it keeps the science that keeps me underwater then so be it!

CamG

I've never met any new divers that want to become an instructor.

However, I have met a few who wish to become DM's, myself being one of them.

It's about sharing something you're passionate about with others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom