Why does SDI insist on teaching only Dive Computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It probably is the Computer Nitrox course that is offered by SDI. TDI's Nitrox course is taught with tables. SDI does allow instructors to include tables with their classes, so it is up to the instructor if he/she wants to add them or not.

I'm surprised that they wouldn't be flexible enough to teach you tables and rent you a computer for the class. If tables is something you want to learn, then look around for another shop/instructor.

He said they were promoting their latest special. I am sure they wouldn't be able to make a special provision for one student. I am sure if he offered to pay additional they would be happy to accomodate him.

I was thinking about going with PADI but since this looked like a good deal I was willing to try them. As far as going with TDI I was under the impression (mistakenly apparently) that you needed to do the SDI course first.
I know that there are options to SDI. I was just wondering why they don't include tables with their courses. Thanks for the quick replies!:D

I think the OP's original questions have been adequately answered and thanks to all of our members who contributed.

I would like to add a couple of small clarifications.

All SDI divers are expected to dive with a personal dive computer... NO EXCEPTIONS. the reasons for encouraging sport divers to use 21st century technology to help manage their inert gas loading should be self-evident.

But just in case: one could make a strong argument for the skills developed when using a good sextant, a chronometer and declination tables to fix a boat's position, but a GPS is more likely to give accurate information about location... and for the weekend navigator therefore, a GPS is a far better option.

We feel the same can be said for personal dive computers vs dive tables, EAN tables and manual calculations. PDCs simply represent the best possible practice for the sport diving community at large.

But there are divers who want more knowledge. For them, we offer Technical Diving International's Nitrox Course. It's all about tables, and working out nitrogen loading, MODs et al manually.

SDI nitrox is NOT a required prerequisite for taking a TDI basic nitrox course. It's the diver's choice and why we continue to offer both.

The SDI Nitrox course is available online and has been popular in that format for a couple of years.

Hope this sorts things out.

FWIW..i totally agree about PDCs. They are far more accurate than tables, allow for more flexibilty, and of course...TONS easier to use.

Math of any sort except the basics is like greek to me :)

PDCs are coming down quite a bit and adequate ones can be had from $300 on up. Ones that can do air and nitrox are going to be more expensive.

I agree. Pdc's are a much safer way to dive. For they are just so much more accurate about your loads. The industry should lean towards pdc's all the way around. For tables are just a little out of date to me.

Not to hijack the thread, but what about the recalls that have been done on dive computers? PDCs should be taught because that is what many people will rent. However, divers need to know what happens when that computer fails and the theory of what is going on in their body. Basically, not to just blindly follow a computer.

... which is precisely why computer failure situations are presented to the class and how to deal with them. As far as 'what is going on in their body...' that is covered in the Physics and Physiology lectures..., along with being covered in the Section of the course that deals with the history of the dive tables, what they represented and how the computer evolved to do the job of the tables.
They are no more blindly following their computer than any OW diver is blindly following their tables...

...so it should be like a ten minute class, where you show the student how to program 32% into their computer, then it's dive as normal...keep your computer out of the red and that's it. No reason to talk about doing the funky chicken when you just follow the computer - all those old fashioned max exposure times and useless stuff.

The class must cost about $2.00. Oh wait. All that, "The history of," stuff.
... a computer pays for itself in bottom time.

And can someone do the math for me on how the bottom time pays for itself?

Wait. Sorry about asking for the math. Never mind.

[irony]

While we're on the subject, isn't it just sad that nobody trains drivers on using a sextant anymore? Everybody's gone GPS nowadays. Man, are they going to be sorry when that computer fails! Nobody even knows how to calculate relative azimuth. Sad.

And what's with all these digital calculators? Don't even get me started on the superiority of slide rules!

[/irony]

I learned my tables because I had to for PADI classes, then promptly threw them away, got a great computer, and never looked back. Completely useless knowledge. I have no idea why they still teach those archaic things, I guess to justify their expenditure in developing them. So now it's just a hoop to jump through for your cert. I wish they taught around computers. Kudos to SDI for moving forward.

If the computer fails while diving, it's just like any other critical piece of gear that fails: you end the dive, and unless you can field-repair it, or brought some redundancy, or can borrow something else, that's it for diving until things are fixed.

Oh, and I don't know how to use a sextant, and nowadays I depend on the calculator program on my smartphone too, which doubles as a GPS with a Bluetooth receiver.

And my career is in digital medical imaging, replacing nasty, archaic, analog, chemical-soup film systems and installing among other things computer-aided diagnosing systems that pre-scan MRI and digital mammo images for problem areas - helping the reading physicians see things early on that they might never have noticed before.

Technological progress is great.

..unless you're Amish.

>*< Fritz

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom