Why does solo have a big future?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CDNN:
Feldman failed in his role of dive buddy, a "special relationship" that required him to come to the aid of his diving partner, the suit says.
"Reqired" is the word that gave me the willies. Mr. Feldman had better hope the judge isn't DIR. :wink:

That's the extreme case that nobody wants to face with. Maybe, that's the reason why we need the rescue diving course though....

Other than that case, I am sure, the more the equipment is developed and ensured the safety concerns, the more solo divers are out there.

As a matter of fact, people wants to be free from any restricted factors, such as time and people. Don't you ever have any hassles to arrange the time and buddy? We are living in busy times. That is the primary reason why I am pursuing a solo dive....
My 2 cents....

Sueing someone is one thing, winning is another. Keep us posted on this one hockeynut.

You still end up broke from lawyer fees defending your self.

I think everybody who buddy dives will have to take the same approach as dive operators: require your buddy to execute a waiver of liability.

Its good to see that solo diving has gone from the mainstream in the early years of rec. diving to the shadows in the 80s and 90s back into the mainstream (to an extent). I'm not that well up on the current PADI stance but is it now so that a solo diving certification is available through PADI.

I was always under the impression that PADI was against solo divers. If not then thats a good sign of PADI becoming more open and versitile.

if they are suing this guy for $4.5 million he

(a) either has insurance defense, in which case it won't cost him a penny; or

(b) he doesn't have any money, in which case good luck collecting on the judgment

it would be a waste of time for an attorney to sue a broke guy for $4.5 million,
so i suspect there is some insurance involved.

Diving Lore:
Its good to see that solo diving has gone from the mainstream in the early years of rec. diving to the shadows in the 80s and 90s back into the mainstream (to an extent). I'm not that well up on the current PADI stance but is it now so that a solo diving certification is available through PADI.

I was always under the impression that PADI was against solo divers. If not then thats a good sign of PADI becoming more open and versitile.

Don't be misled into thinking Solo diving is acceptable to the mainstream to any great extent because you see a dedicated solo forum here. While a good many divers may practice it or have tried it, it is more often than not misunderstood, shunned and virulently opposed by some to a degree not seen in any other dive discipline. Inroads into the mainstream is being made, if for no other reason then the fact its safety record simply does not substantiate the claims made by those who oppose it.

The day PADI has a training class for Solo - is the day it becomes mainstream. They view it as a technical specialty that can be responsibly practiced. http://www.phuket-underwater-adventures.net/solodive.htm I don't know if this remains their current position, as this is a few years old. Others here can answer that.

When I had a buddy die on a dive last year I talked to a lawyer before I talked to the widow. I wanted to find out if I was putting myself in legal jeopardy. The coroner's report found that the cause of death was a massive heart attack. So that pretty much absolved anyone from blame.

But from what I understand, the widow is still looking to sue someone. She just hasn't found a lawyer willing to take the case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom