Why doesn't SSI teach what action to take when inflation bladder sticks open!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I don't know why any school would not want to point this out as appropriate response to take when facing an emergency, such as a stuck open inflation valve. It would not require much to show a student how to react to this and respond quickly so he/ she could avoid shooting up into a dangerous situation.

Dumping the air out of your bladder,while disconnecting the LP hose would be a good thing to have a student do even if it is practiced in the pool.
Can someone tell me why taking time to show this to new divers is a bad idea?

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear Dive Mounts

My SSI instructor did, but my PADI instructor did not. The SSI instructor was a wreck/cave diver and that made all the difference.

Also, when I was a PADI/NAUI/PDIC/PSAI instructor I taught this as well, it's just not directly required with a simulated ascent.

The proficiency of the connect/disconnect is practiced for exactly this reason.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

My SSI instructor did also. He is also a technical diver instructor.

My instructor did also. He was both PADI and SDI but I was taking SDI at the time. I do not think he was a cave diver but he was also a tech diver and became certified to teach some tech shortly after I started working with him.

Learned the hard way, my daughter got one at the beginning of a dive. from 60 feet to surface in seconds. Luckily she tought about expiration as fast as she could. Since then, I ALWAYS, test my inflator valve with a few quick birsts before every dive. if it does not stop instantaneously, I change the valve. it is worth a few $. Changed every 2 years. Otherwise swim down, disconnect the infator line and purge the BCD.

Do you think this is part of the SSI training or is this something that individual instructors have taken initiative to point out to students.

If it is not an official part of training, like I believe Padi is, why do you think it has not been added to the training. I certainly did not receive instruction nor did any of the other students.

Thanks in advance
Frank G

SSI DOES teach the prospective student the proper approach to mitigating a open inflation valve issue..simply disconnect the LP inflator hose. I know that every student we have is informed of the potential of such an event, briefed on how and why it can occur..and than shown the proper response to the event.
And than we reiterate and have them DO it..when we do get into the pool.

Bubs

SSI DOES teach the prospective student the proper approach to mitigating a open inflation valve issue..simply disconnect the LP inflator hose. I know that every student we have is informed of the potential of such an event, briefed on how and why it can occur..and than shown the proper response to the event.
And than we reiterate and have them DO it..when we do get into the pool.

Bubs

Then am I correct to presume that the LDS that provided the SSI OW training is not adequately providing instruction on all its students in this area?

I think this is important information that although I am glad i learned it on the forum, I feel it would be unfortunate for others to suffer consequences for not knowing this info.

Frank G

My SSI instructor did, but my PADI instructor did not. The SSI instructor was a wreck/cave diver and that made all the difference.

Also, when I was a PADI/NAUI/PDIC/PSAI instructor I taught this as well, it's just not directly required with a simulated ascent.

The proficiency of the connect/disconnect is practiced for exactly this reason.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
it is a requirement with PADI..confined water , I believe module 4 on confined water slates..so being SSI or PADI does not make a difference. The quality of the instructor does, not the agency.

It's actually a "dive flexible" skill for PADI:

Disconnect Low Pressure Inflator Hose — Have student divers disconnect the low pressure hose from the inflator in shallow water (either underwater or at the surface).
By the end of Confined Water Dive 3 for PADI Scuba Divers.
By the end of Confined Water Dive 5 for allstudent divers

I get it over with on CW1 and from then on they get "challenged" to do it throughout while underwater.

Back
Top Bottom