Why don't seas sausages have warning messages on them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a4lod

Reaction score
Why don't sea sausages have warning messages printed on them? Whether it be something like 'Diver Down', 'Emergency' or 'Keep back 20 feet", or al least have a diver flag, would this not be a good idea? I know if I was a boater or personal watercraft operator and suddenly a 'thing' shot out of the water, I would investigate. What if at the same moment I am trying to figure out what the thing is, a diver makes an emergency ascent and gets clipped? Is there a reason most sea sausages are blank (oddly enough, it seems the expensive one's are blank and the cheap ones have warnings)? Has anyone every had a warning printed on his/her sea sauage? Comments? Thanks.

a4lod once bubbled...
Why don't sea sausages have warning messages printed on them? Whether it be something like 'Diver Down', 'Emergency' or 'Keep back 20 feet", or al least have a diver flag, would this not be a good idea? I know if I was a boater or personal watercraft operator and suddenly a 'thing' shot out of the water, I would investigate. What if at the same moment I am trying to figure out what the thing is, a diver makes an emergency ascent and gets clipped? Is there a reason most sea sausages are blank (oddly enough, it seems the expensive one's are blank and the cheap ones have warnings)? Has anyone every had a warning printed on his/her sea sauage? Comments? Thanks.

I dunno about most, but mine is 6' long and has "DIVER DOWN" printed on it. It's el cheapo with one of those mouth-inflate valves you see on Wal Mart rafts (and it's made of the same plastic), but it seems to stow into my MC pack and has some loops for attaching a spool.

mine both have my name on the side. Seeing as the red one is prearranged with the boat cover and the yellow is for emergency I think that is cover enough. The boat has the blue peter flown.

Jonathan

I've seen 'em with all sorts of pre-printed messages, and with dive flags - even strobes. Just shop around a bit. There are even markers with big "whiteboard" areas on them where you can write your own message when you send it up.
Rick

. . . as mentioned, if something suddenly shoots out of the water, I am sure most boaters would investigate. Just wondering . . .

My Halcyon marker bag has a panel to insert a wetnote if need be.

The safety sausage that I once had had a divers down "flag" on the end of it that would stick out of the water. It was pretty small though so I really doubt that it would be seen/noticed from a distance. My lift bag upon hitting the water lays down flat, so there would be no way anyone would see any flags/signs on it unless they got close anyway.

Besides, when you shoot a bag, you don't go darting up blindly up behind it usually. If you see a boat coming by, don't surface into it.

If you are making an emergency ascent, then by definition I would believe that you aren't stopping to shoot a lift bag until after you hit the surface, and then after the emergency ascent, you probably would want to be picked up fairly quickly.

Back
Top Bottom