Why Don't you Have a Pony yet?...or ever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I'm glad of that dherbman because this forum.site is the only way I can get info. on pony use. In my area (without driving 45 miles to ask a tech friend) no one on my buddy list knows from nuthin' about slung ponies.

Now that I'm rigged up and want to drill with it for the first time, I just need to be sure about how to prevent and what to do in case of accidental purging.

Doc, in case you don't peek above dHerbman's post, I had a clarification question please. Thanks.

Even though I won't be solo diving for a long time to come I would like to consider it and a pony will help me to determine if it would truly appeal.

Seriously, I look forward to all of doc's replies and have nothing but respect for him, but I'm going to guess he'll advise against learning to dive from the internet. 45 minutes would be well worth the drive to receive some first hand, eyes on advice.

Oh yes, I hear you about learning off of the internet, but Doc is from my area and besides his excellent and intelligent posts and profile training, I know him "by reputation" from area divers. I'm definitely ready to do buoyancy/trim checks and practice deploying my pony reg., etc. I just haven't been able to get info. on whether or not there are covers and other techniques for avoiding accidental purging of a charged reg/hose.

I have gotten in person advice from my tech friend and he got me rigged up and "dry" practiced. I hadn't asked him about the clarification question below before he left for a long wreck diving trip. Thanks for the good advice though as it IS good advice.

If Doc or others can clarify whether to periodically turn the valve on and off prior to an accidental purge or only after one, I think I'm ready to get wet with it.

jim T.:
I've asked this elsewhere,but what techniques/covers are used on a slung pony/bail out bottle to avoid accidental purging once the hose is charged? It seems like it would be relatively easy to bump the purge occasionally? Want to avoid water getting up and into the lst stage.
Thank You

Well, I have never been "taught" how to configure my pony, I just sat down and played around until I found a set-up I like. So, I'll tell you what I do.

I set the strap with the clips so that the on/off knob is facing across my body (generally. it often cants to the front a bit, but still works) so that I have easy access to it with my right hand. I use bike tubes as bungee straps on the bottle and place the loose hoses under it. I also have one up at the top of the bottle. I place the regulator up, underneath the first stage reg with the purge button facing towards my back ("up" while swimming). I then place a bungee at the base of the reg to hold it in position. This makes it VERY difficult to bump the purge as it is protected by my arm 90% of the time. This also allows me to grab the reg with my left hand and be moving it towards my mouth while my right hand is turning on the bottle (if needed).

As for turning the valve on periodically... I have a regular SPG on the pony reg. I tell at a glance if the second stage is still pressurized or not.

Perhaps this can help you. If not, then at least you got your money's worth (for my free advice :wink: )

FD

thanks fire diver. I have my rig all set up with a Dive Rite bands system and an spg.
So my remaining questions are:
If I see a slight decrease in p.s.i. from entering cold water from warmer surface air
at what point would I recharge the reg and hose? I've been told that 100 to 200p.s.i. change isn't uncommon.

Also, should I accidentally bump the purge with my arm or anythng else, how much danger is there in "immediately" getting water into the lst stage before recharging the hose and reg.? It's a Scubapro r190/MK 2 lst stage if that matters for any reason.

I haven't heard of keeping the valve slightly cracked during the dive as reefraff recommended. Anyone else do that?

Thanks for your detailed response, f.d.

Jim

Oh yes, still would like to know about recharging periodically. I presume that Doc Intrepid meant this needed to be done only if there was a pressure drop or after an accidental purge not before or if there is no pressure drop?

Once I have this info. I think I'm good to go.

Thanks as always everyone.
Jim

jim T.:
So my remaining questions are:
If I see a slight decrease in p.s.i. from entering cold water from warmer surface air
at what point would I recharge the reg and hose? I've been told that 100 to 200p.s.i. change isn't uncommon.

It's normal to see that pressure change when the tank environment changes like that. Wouldn't bother me if that happened. If I were going to recharge my reg, I personally wouldnt worry about it until it was at a "low air" level, say 500 or less.

jim T.:
Also, should I accidentally bump the purge with my arm or anythng else, how much danger is there in "immediately" getting water into the lst stage before recharging the hose and reg.? It's a Scubapro r190/MK 2 lst stage if that matters for any reason.

Short answer: probably not.
Not familiar with your exact reg and hoses. I have one reg that I can get 4 breaths off a chaged reg and closed bottle before I drain it. Another one gives about 1 1/2. So a "bump" may discharge some or most of the stored air.

jim T.:
I haven't heard of keeping the valve slightly cracked during the dive as reefraff recommended. Anyone else do that?

I haven't either. Most either charge and turn off, or leave full open. I can't really see a harm in partially opening your pony bottle. If you need it in an OOA situation, you will still get air, but not the full amount until it's opened. As long as YOU know the state of your bottle/regs and what needs to be done to use them, seems ok to me. Just remember, if you do give your pony to another in an OOA, don't forget to make the necesary changes first.

FD

PS- When I first started diving my pony, I would charge it, test it, then turn the bottle off. I did this to avoid my bottle possibly leaking out unnoticed. But I carried it "slung." This was also so that I could easily turn the bottle back on when needed. But lately I have been just leaving it turned on. Less to mess with during the dive, and I can see the tank and reg so I can see if its leaking during a dive.

FD

Hi F.D. Thanks so much for your thoughtful response(s). I dove with my pony bottle today for 2 dives and everything went well. It really did "disappear" underwater. I dove with it fully "on"/open this time until or if I hear more info. regarding accidental purging's effects on the lst stage with a charged hose. Today, buoyancy/trim/ergonomic practice. Next dive, drills!
Thanks again, Jim

catherine96821:
1. Drag in the water. With the camera and strobe, sometmes I struggle in currents, getting back on the boat in rough seas, can I handle more weight to pack around?
Do I have all the variables in play? how bout you? How do you decide?

Hi Catherine,
You say that you sometimes struggle against currents. When you do that, do you get short on breath? Do you breathe more? If so, could you still safely do a CESA when you're already panting and all of a sudden there's nothing to inhale?
Neil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom