Why Don't you Have a Pony yet?...or ever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and why would you do that? for fills? not underwater? you confuse me all that swimming around carrying extra tank set-ups. uhhhh....I could post an incriminating image....looks rather deep as well....

You could take it off if we were solo partners and you had a problem but mostly it makes it easy to change tanks on the boat. It takes like 15 seconds.

dumpsterDiver:
I have been using a pony for all dives over 60 feet for like 15-20 years. I honestly can not feel comfortable at 80 ft without a pony, I just feel guilty, sorta like I'm driving my truck after having 4 beers or something. I know both activities are less than responsible, however neither is really "unsafe".
That's a great reason to dive a pony. Is the guilt or lack of directly proportional to the size of your pony?

dumpsterDiver:
I generally use a 13 cu-ft for all dives, and I commonly do solo deco dives to 200 feet. I try to keep my deco under 6-7 minutes which is basically what I hope I could do on my pony if my primary tank failed.
Solo deco to 200' on a single with a 13 ft3 pony is bad enough, but "try" and "hope" are two words that really make me cringe, especially in a dive plan. :wink:

dumpsterDiver:
A 13 cu-ft tank is large enough to get you up from 130 feet and do a little deco if you have no problem on the bottom.
What if you do have a problem?

dumpsterDiver:
My wife rarely dives over 100 feet and I got her a 6 cu-ft tank. Even this tiny bottle will get you up safely from 100 feet, although you might not have enough air to do a safety stop. If you are worried about drag, the 6 cu-ft tank will have negligible affect in the water.

Only 6ft3? What's that going to do for her guilt?

catherine96821:
d, why do you say that?....I process well, remember?

Sorry, long day for me and I'm feeling cynical.

I am sorry. Dumpsterdiver is a man living on the edge....

But supposedly we are safe in here.

I feel like I am finally getting the information I want, now that we have exhausted the anti's and there is a lull in the debate. You have to ask when nobody is looking.

Captain doesn't even wear a motorcycle helmet. I think he should feel really guilty. He could end up in the "vegtable garden" as we call it.

I slung a pony (well, a deco bottle) for the first time in my Advanced Nitrox class and found it fairly unobtrusive. I used a 30 cu ft slung on my left side and it just gravitated under my arm. I used only 2 pounds of weight on my right side to compensate for it.

We were drift diving on a small boat and backrolled off. The crew handed down the stage bottles and we clipped them on in the water. I had no trouble managing the pony and I can't forsee that you would either.

RH, with a big camera and strobe? maybe but I am not too strong. I think I need it centered and smaller. I can barely squat my Al 80.

D, why does your head hurt?

Captain needs a helmet before a pony.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom