• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Why extra air when solo?

Discussion in 'Solo Divers' started by pauldw, Jul 11, 2019.

1. johndiver999

johndiver999 Manta Ray

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    And why do you do all of that?
    Answer: Because you clearly recognize the benefits of being able to effectively differentiate the various hoses/stages. Sounds like a pretty robust solution to the stated (potential) problem.

AfterDark likes this.
  2. martincohn

martincohn Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Sidemount.

100% redundant gas from the tanks to your lips.

3. AfterDark

AfterDark Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Back Mounted ID's same, after diving both, BMID's are the best choice for me and have been long before side mount was marketed. I found that the side mount was as annoying as a pony bottle only under both arms. And unless the factory rep that dove with me set them wrong they are optimum.

4. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

Just curious as to when you last practiced your CESA from that depth?

5. Jim Lapenta

Jim Lapenta Dive Shop

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    If you are diving with OW students and they can't assist you if you have a problem, they should not be in open water. I get so upset when "pros" say they are essentially diving solo on checkouts with students. No, you are not. You are verifying the training of those, who at the end of the weekend, are supposed to be able to dive with a buddy of equal training and experience without any professional assistance. That means assisting that buddy if they have an issue. If you feel that's not within their capabilities you shouldn't give them a card.

6. MichaelMc

MichaelMc Divemaster Candidate

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    True, OW students should be able to assist, if you swim to one of your 'inattentive buddies'/students for air. If they pass this open water verification step. But what if they lose it in open water, under a real issue instead of a practice one? Yes, if you trained them, don't bring them out until you trust them. If you didn't train them, do you trust who did?

Also Instructors or DMs might be far from students setting floats or overseeing the whole area. With no student/buddy air near by. Conditions that might satisfy an easy CESA but would not satisfy a solo class guideline to have redundant air.

-JD- likes this.
  7. jlcnuke

jlcnuke Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    The reason is because the course isn't called "solo diving at really shallow depths only", so when you're at 100 ft and find your free-flow results in insufficient air in your primary tank for you to go to the surface calmly and do a nice safety stop, that redundant air supply means you can still do all that stuff. Do you need it at 30 ft? That's up to you to determine the risks your willing to accept. Do you need it at 130 ft? You very well might if you would like to avoid high risk ascents if you have an issue.

Personally, I dive with my pony bottle anytime I do a solo dive or if I'm diving with someone I don't know. I also wear my full normal setup (long hose with necklaced backup) as I'll frequently do solo and buddy diving on the same day, and sometimes don't carry the pony on some of those dives. As a result, keeping most of my rig "standardized" for all my dives retains the familiarity and I'm only adding one piece of gear (my pony bottle) for any given dive usually.

-JD- and dead dog like this.
  8. caruso

caruso Banned

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Probably never.

9. MichaelMc

MichaelMc Divemaster Candidate

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Amateurs Practice Until They Get It Right;
    Professionals Practice Until They Can’t Get It Wrong

What if you never practice?

I'm not a pro, but I practice switching air sources every dive, as I dive sidemount or independent doubles. Not under unexpected OOA stress, but most CESA practice is not under unexpected OOA stress. When I have a good buddy, I tell them that they will go OOA some time during the dive, which means I need to quickly deploy my long hose to save them.

AfterDark likes this.
  10. AfterDark

AfterDark Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    That is exactly my attitude towards dive gear personal standardization. I know where my gear is, what it is and how to access it by touch/feel. My gear is the same no matter if I'm doing a 30' sightseeing dive or diving the U853. The suit may change to match the conditions, I may have 1 tank and pony or 2 tanks in the form of IDs but the basic configuration is always the same.

Sometimes when I feeling like playing I'll gear up vintage style, sans BC, SPG, using my double hose and J valve and swim around in 10' of water trying to take an acceptable picture of some critter. I don't really call that diving and I don't log those as dives.

Practicing CESA, I used to practice CESA all the time, every dive. Before we did safety stops I would always do the last 25- 30' of an ascent as CESA; got so I could do it without thinking.

On one dive using a borrowed reg that my buddy at the time "rebuilt" I had a failure to deliver air at 70' after I had exhaled. My "reg rebuilding buddy" was nowhere to be found. So up I went so scared I could barely think. I remember at 35FSW (a guess) I felt the need to exhale so I did the rest of the way to the surface. I swam to shore and waited for my buddy. I had a few things I wanted to say to him. Among which was if I ever see you near me underwater again I'll kill you.