Why Freedive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me freediving means snorkeling with depths of about 30' max and being underwater for maybe 60 seconds at a time. I don't have any specialized gear though. I just use the same O'Neal J-suit and F1 fins I use for scuba.

I like it for a number of reasons. First, I can do it with my daughter who's still too young for scuba. I just stay in shallow and mostly on the surface for that, but it gets her used to being in a wetsuit, clearing her mask, wearing a weightbelt and other skills that she'll need later on. Second, you're much, much faster, sleeker and more graceful in the water when you're not encumbered with tanks, bc, lights, and all the rest. Third, there's nothing really to clean up when you're done.

I really think that all cold water divers should free dive a little from time to time. With all the stuff we need to stay warm and illuminate things, we tend to get carried away with gear and turn into lumbering Christmas trees that can barely move either above or below water. Free diving really drives home the fact that, that's not the way it should be. That it's much nicer to be sleek and nimble than an underwater dive shop with six forms of redundancy.

Still, one thing I do keep in mind about free diving. I think it is MUCH more dangerous than normal recreational scuba dives. The way I see it, on scuba, I've got about 1 hours air on my back and my buddy has the same. If I get into trouble underwater, that gives me a very good chance to extricate myself from it. If I'm freediving and that happens then I've only got seconds to do the same thing.

(Un)fortunately, I've taken up free diving recently due to people dropping stuff off my boat in 20-40ft of water more than usual this summer. I don't always have a spare tank and reg on board but there's always a mask, fins and snorkel set on board. I've seen drastic improvement as originally I could only make it down to about 20ft or so but 40ft is well within my grasp now. Once I'm down, I get about 30-40 seconds before I need to turn and head up. It's kinda fun to be that deep knowing I don't have to haul all my scuba gear down, granted I can only stay a short time.

I think there is a huge middle ground between the 20 to 30 foot max freediving ( meaning not too much freedive skill or training), and the EXTREME Freediving that gets so much attention as what you have to shoot for if you want to be a "good" freediver.
I freedive reefs off of Boynton and Palm Beach florida, at depths of 40 to 65 feet. This does NOT require me to practice static apnea, which is one of my dislikes regarding the extreme freedive classes...as soon as you begin trying to retrain or trick your bodies CO2 mechanisms, so that 3 to 5 minute breath holds are possible, you have begun a path towards destroying your body's safeguards against shallow water blackout.
By just doing lots of 30 to 40 foot freediving, you can get your heart rate low, and your bottom time to between 1 and 2 minutes--and no one really NEEDS to stay down longer than 2 minutes. With a good freediver to show you the techniques for best dropping, optimal weighting for you, and all the main diving tricks we employ, the 50 to 70 foot area can become viable for most fit people. Without cheating the Co2 mechanisms.
This can be fun for anyone, and should be much safer than the extreme freedive behaviors that don't make too much sense to most scuba divers.

Again, Boynton Beach , fl is a great place for this, and you DO need real freediving fins and a low volume mask, to really progress well on to the 60 foot stuff. Forget the split fins :)

Regards,
DanV

Back
Top Bottom