Why I chose Yamamoto Neoprene to make my MAKO Freediving wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... The negatives of this approach (no Nylon at all) include the fragility of the suit with poor resistance to abrasion and abuse from active use...Like climbing in the boat, contact with rocks...

Fragile is "diplomatic", if not a downright understatement. I find it hard to imagine using a split-skin interior and smooth-skin exterior for anything but competitive apnia diving. My first wetsuit was smooth-skin on both sides in 1962 before Nylon lining was introduced. The lubricant was talcum powder or corn starch. Learning to don the suit without tearing it was a harder-to-learn skill than clearing a mask. We did get good at repairing tears and divots with Black Magic cement though.

...//... The negatives of this approach include the fragility of the suit with poor resistance to abrasion and abuse from active use...Like climbing in the boat, contact with rocks. ...
I dive back bays and inlets. We have barnacles. Those little buggers never fail to amaze me.

My W/S is an old Aqualung neo. I only use it for a few months up here when conditions are favorable.

Fragile is a non-starter. How about a US manufactured DS with Kevlar instead of Nylon? I'm first in line. Neoprene, nylon, kevlar... You never left DuPont. Homegrown.

They just chopped up the parent company, best thing left is the Children's Hospital. Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children, Wilmington, Del. | Nemours

Check out staying local...

-D

Overlong in your reply.

Bottom line, you can't go local no matter how hard you try to be loyal. DuPont to Sell DuPont™ Neoprene to Denka Performance Elastomer LLC | DuPont USA

We (meaning me too) pay their entire defense spending. No small tab. Thank you, MacArthur, you couldn't be prez so you made yourself emperor at our expense. Traitor.

No military burden as far as expense. That leaves them totally free to turn all financial guns on us to cherry pick our lucrative business efforts. TV's, cell phones, computers? Where did all those innovations start? Why did ours collapse?

I have no issue with Asian people. My daughter is one. Life is complex.

Over and out.

What are the buoyancy properties of your Yamamoto neoprene?

I had a Yamamoto 5mm and I needed a lot of weight to become buoyant; that is, I required14 kg vs 6 kg of weight that I use with my normal 3mm neoprene.

Thanks for addressing buoyancy properties.

GJS

What are the buoyancy properties of your Yamamoto neoprene?

I had a Yamamoto 5mm and I needed a lot of weight to become buoyant; that is, I required14 kg vs 6 kg of weight that I use with my normal 3mm neoprene.

Thanks for addressing buoyancy properties.

GJS
That's why I asked about depth. Yamamoto is very buoyant at shallow depths but it gets crushed the deeper you go. With my old yammamoto 5 mm suit I had to use around 5 kg for deep dives and I would sink like a rock bellow 20 meters, with Daiwabo I need 2 or 3 and after around 15 meters I sink at a constant speed. But Daiwabo is not as comfortable (less "bubbles" in the material, less stretch) and is very hard to glue back once you break it.

Smooth skin suits are a godsend for diving on the boat, the outside dry's very fast so you stay warm while driving from positions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom