Why I love PADI, NOT!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's downright impossible if you have privacy settings set to prevent that or keep changing browsers. Did you sign in, work a bit and then sign out and then sign back in on the same browser? Simply bopping from browser to browser will only confuse the situation. Not enabling cookies or having them deleted on exit, will screw things up as well.

There are some e-learning progs that don't require cookies, but apparently, this is not one of them. You can't please everyone all the time.

You seemed to miss the part where we both stated "signed in". He has an account. It keeps track of what he has completed in order for them to ensure he has completed the course. They just need to use that data to tell the program where to start.

SDI e-learning took you right back to where you left off - but gave you the option to go over previous lessons if you wanted to. Don't know why SDI can do it and PADI can't.

The only thing that I can think of is that you might have privacy settings to not accept cookies (most secure). If that's the case, the program/site has no way of storing your progress on your computer. They could/should be able to store it in the cloud or on their servers, though. I would check privacy settings and try accepting cookies and see if that helps.

It's downright impossible if you have privacy settings set to prevent that or keep changing browsers. Did you sign in, work a bit and then sign out and then sign back in on the same browser? Simply bopping from browser to browser will only confuse the situation. Not enabling cookies or having them deleted on exit, will screw things up as well.

There are some e-learning progs that don't require cookies, but apparently, this is not one of them. You can't please everyone all the time.
To say that it is impossible is not accurate. Using cookies to store this sort of detail is just poor coding on the web developer's part. I do this sort of thing on many of the sites I've written at work, and you don't need cookies or anything else on the client side. If a user is logging into a site, as with the one in question (or scubaboard) you can easily store this type of information in a database table. The "bookmark" information is stored in a table where the key is the userid. Then you have no privacy concerns of relating to cookies (not that I have anything at all against cookies), your functionality always works, even if the user switches browsers or computers or anything else. Even if you don't have a real database server available, it's pretty easy to setup an ODBC connection to a database file in a pinch. Personally, the only thing I would store on an end-user's browser is cached login information (e.g. "keep me logged in"). The security in such a thing is questionable, but the convenience of it is undeniable.

Just did PADI Enriched Air elearning. It did remember my progress , mostly - there were a few glitches - but a much bigger issue is the site requires passwords but is not SSL encrypted. It will also tell you your forgotten password if you just answer 1 easily guessed question.

Make sure you do not use the same password for PADI as any other site!

And hey PADI if you are lurking, move your site security standards into this century.. Here are three places to start.
1) Use HTTPS
2) Don't display forgotten passwords on the site, instead email a reset password link to the user' registered email
3) Store passwords as a one way hash - much harder to reverse if the site is compromised

Back
Top Bottom