Why I Solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dherbman:
I can here them whine about the vis from here.

Geez...you got great ears...:D

Amphibious:
WHY I SOLO
....... <big group photo>
people pay money for this?
Hmmmm. Isn't there any middle ground between a huge group and solo? Let's see now, let's think really, really hard. Oh, yeah. Diving with a trusted buddy!

I dive solo, I dive with a single buddy, I dive in three person teams. I dive in groups. Each has its benefits and drawbacks.

3 out of 4 dives, my buddy is same ocean buddy, we see each other before and after the dive, we prefer it that way.

About 1 dive out of 10, my girlfriend and/or daughter comes along, and they follow me all the time so it's like diving solo too, but I got the added task of watching for them, they know all the safety procedures, but rely on me to decide what to do.
Needless to say, these dives are more conservative than the usual dives with my buddy.

If by any chance, I get to be on a cattle boat, I make sure the DM knows my preparation and allows me to dive my own profile, so I'm diving near them but away enough to do my own thing. If the operation doesn't allows this, I won't dive with them.

Most spearfishing is done solo, and you have to be more aware of your surroundings once you spear a fish, allways looking out for the hungry cudas or graysuits trying to steal your catch has made me the habit of looking 360* allmost every couple of minutes or so.

Back
Top Bottom