Why I'll be glad when the Snowbirds leave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefGuy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Emphases are mine...

I don't know why we don't have more calls like this one. The old people down here are a menace on the road. Especially the snowbirds who are completely unfamaliar with the area.

I think when a person hits 65, they should be tested yearly. Especially eyesight.

http://www.sun-herald.com/Newsstory.cfm?pubdate=011607&story=tp4ch8.htm&folder=NewsArchive2

Sheriff's Office: Missing woman likely found dead

Friday night, Richard Morgan phoned in an order to Portobello's Restaurant at the Burnt Store Marina. His wife, Patty Ellen Morgan, left their Pine Island residence around 7:45 p.m. in her 2003 silver Honda Odyssey to pick up their dinner.

The 68-year-old woman never made it home.

Morgan's van was found Monday afternoon in a pond across from Portobello's, said Sgt. Larry King, spokesman for the Lee County Sheriff's Office. A body was found in the car, along with Morgan's belongings.

"Presumably, it's her," King said.

The LCSO was awaiting identification of the body from the medical examiner's office.

The discovery came after three days' worth of searching. The broad-scoped effort included both Lee and Charlotte counties, and officials from both the Charlotte County Sheriff's Office and Cape Coral Police Department were notified. Burnt Store Marina is on the Charlotte-Lee county line.

Investigators searched the nearby pond after a family member checking the area Friday morning noticed tire tracks leading into it, King said.

"You could actually see, in the water, an area where the water was lighter in color than the other," he said.

The dive team came out sometime after noon and recovered the yet-unidentified body, as well as Morgan's van. Officials said it appeared the Honda was involved in an accident.

John Moreland, a manager at Portobello's, said the Morgans were frequent customers of the Lee County restaurant.

"I just saw her in passing really quick," Moreland said of Friday night. "She just came up, picked up her food at the hostess stand, and walked back out."

Morgan was seen leaving the restaurant around 8 p.m., according to the LCSO.

After personally searching for her, Richard Morgan reported her missing to authorities around 11 p.m. from their home at 4080 Cobia Estates Drive, according to an LCSO press release. The gated community is in unincorporated Lee County but has a Punta Gorda mailing address.

Richard told officials that his wife could become disoriented, especially at night, and officials listed her as disabled, as she was without her medication.

LCSO deputies searched by ground and air to locate her, and also publicly provided missing adult information before the van was found Monday.

Hollywood/Dania is a destination for the folks from Quebec. Within the last week we've become inundated by them. They even have car carriers that unload their cars on Dania Beach Blvd. The standard joke is that the motto on their license plate means "I'm here for souvenirs". They are everywhere, driving 15 mph looking for their turn, clogging the grocery lines and wearing speedos on the beach. Can't blame them for coming down, the weather is beutiful this time of year.

I can't blame them either! I spent the day in shorts and t-shirt and this evening had to close the windows finally and turn the air conditioner back on.

This is one Floridian who is glad the tourist and snowbirds come to visit. It is a boon to the economy and every dime "they" pay in taxes (tourist, sales, fuel, etc) is one less dime I have to pay. It is a little frustrating being behind a slow driver but what the heck, I drive slow when I go to visit thier city too. I only hope "they" remember that I wasn't one of the folks blowing their horn and giving the 1/5th salute.

For those who are looking for a change of pace ... COME ON DOWN! Drop me an e-mail first and I will do my best to roll out the DRI/PSD hospitality mat here in Vero Beach, FL.

That's what Southern Hospitality and PSD brotherhood is all about!

Blades

and what is a little extra wait for the early bird specials anyway? :)

Look at the bright side: If they are in Florida, at least we don't have to pull them out of snow banks up north!!! Well, maybe this year, mud holes from all of our rain!!!!

On second thought, I guess that is our bright side!!!!!! LOL

Dan

Glad you have them down there. It's tough watching them chain up a walker or wheelchair then drive the thing. :D

The old CB handles up here were like, Broken Hip one this is Fractured Femur Two Over. Breaker Breaker is Geritol Baby out there come on back Geritol Baby this is Varicose Vein callin.

How many more do you want? :D

Gary D.

Maybe I mistitled this thread. It's not about liking or disliking snowbirds (although, honestly, I wish they'd stay up north), its about the elderly driving when they have no business being on the road.

Here, the husband KNEW that she had issues with becoming disoriented, with the greatest threat being at night, but she went to pick up dinner anyway after dark. She should have never been driving in the first place.

We have such a greater number of accidents during the winter months, with many of those involving the elderly (many of those being snowbirds), that it's getting dangerous to be on our roads from October through March. I get nervous letting my kids ride their bikes - people just don't see them.

Last October, when our annual population explodes and the average age goes from 40 something to 80 something, we had 7 deaths in one 24 hour period in our county. Given the size of our county, this is outrageous.

Besides, I've eaten a Portobella's, and while it's good, it's nothing to die for (maybe that'd make a good corporate slogan, though :)).

And for the snowbirds reading this. I Echo Blades' post. Come on down! The east coast of Florida is wonderful this time of year :D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom