Why is a Jacket BC better than a BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mikko Ilari Laakkonen

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there folks!

I am doing some product reviews and am considering writing an article of buoyancy devices. Please read and comment! My purpose is not to bash Jackets or praise any kind of equipment. I simply seek deeper understanding and well-grounded, reasonable and justified opinions. I have had my bit of diving few years in jackets, then BP/W in doubles, then a lot of bpw single tank diving while teaching and now sidemount for few years. I am an experienced diver and instructor and I do know the equipment. I do know that jackets are not bad and one can dive them properly and comfortably. However in my opinion the BP/W setup is superior in every aspect. The major manufacturers still develop and sell huge amounts of Jacket BC's so there must be something to it right?

1) What features are better in Jacket BC's than in BP/W

2) in what kind of diving Jacket works better, why?

3) How would one experienced and familiar with both styles end up buying&recommending a jacket. What arguments and reasons lead to the decision?

For a new diver, when a jacket is inflated and on the surface, a face-up position in most sea conditions- it is pretty much-so guaranteed.

That's the big one, as far as I can see.

For a new diver, when a jacket is inflated and on the surface, a face-up position in most sea conditions- it is pretty much-so guaranteed.

That's the big one, as far as I can see.

Yes, only one I came up with as well. Really relevant only if unconcius, since modern bpw's are very close to your back and easily keeps you vertical with just a slight leaning back.

The other common reasons i've heard are the quick adjustability for instructional purposes and the familiarity after training.

I could be very wrong here, but I wonder if they provide easier horizontal trim, since the air is more spread out. If I'm saying that right.

Difficult question. I dove with just a plate for 1000 dives. It suites me fine. Buoyancy devices yet had to be invented. Then some sunny day while on holiday I encountered a BCD and it was the thing to go for the next 1000. Did it feel better? Well trim was easier, but I always found it hard to be horizontal. The next thing happened: I lost my integrated weights four times so that bothered me a lot. While I was still discussing with myself about my next step, I got stuck in a wreck twice and decided to get me a Bp/W. That's what I use now for a couple of hundred dives. So I'm not the person to tell you advantages.. The BCD had more pockets which is sometimes easy. In our colder climate zone. I have been diving in water of 0*C it feels a bit warmer... I really wouldn't know other advantages, but maybe less experienced divers might have different idea's..

Yes i would also appreciate opinions of beginner divers that why do you think jacket would be the way to go?

Or why did you think so when you were a beginner or how did someone explain to you that jacket is the best.

I have several BP&Ws, but I still love my old Scubapro jacket. A nice jacket is great for just regular diving. Benefits? It has POCKETS. It also has multiple dumps, so it's easier to get the air out at most any angle. I suppose the integrated weights are useful to some, but if I wear any ditchable weight it's usually a weight belt.

I switched from jacket to BP/W a year or so ago. I will never go back to a jacket, as I believe the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages for almost every kind of diving. However, sometimes I do miss the cushy padding, such as when I am trudging along a beach for a shore entry/exit. This issue might depend to some extent on what kind of exposure suit one is wearing. In tropical climates, some people resist wearing any wetsuit whatsoever. Granted, padding kits are available for BP/W shoulders and back, but then that would add unnecessary buoyancy; NOT having any unnecessary buoyant bits is one of the perceived advantages of a BP/W. So perhaps for very warm water diving that involves a lot of walking around while kitted up, a BP/W might be less comfortable than a nicely padded jacket.

Benefit of jacket: It is simple. Slip it over a tank, tighten straps. Add regs. Go diving. I now dive CCR and have dived everything in between, but for a quick OC dive single tank my old Pro QD is what I grab.

Reactions: dfx
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom