Why is DIR controversial?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmalinowski:
re: Tech3

In order to teach tech2 or cave2, you have to be tech3 or cave3 I believe. So, I guess JJ certs those that he feels can teach tech2/cave2...

From the GUE instructor page, it looks like Gideon is Tech 2 / Cave 2 but teaches Tech 2.

How can Chris or Danny teach Cave 3 like the GUE instructor cert lists if there's no Cave 4 cert? =)

EDIT: I just checked the standards, you need Cave 1 or Tech 1 to teach DIRF, you need Tech 2 / Cave 1 to teach Tech 1 or Tech 2, you need Cave 2 / Tech 1 to teach Cave 1 or Cave 2. To teach Tech 3 you need Tech 3 / Cave 1, to teach Cave 3 you need Cave 3 / Tech 2. Presumably Mario or Richard Lundgren have passed a Tech 3 class since they're listed as qualified to teach it?

how many DIR divers does it take to make Kool-Aid (tm)?

one to write the book: Doing it RIght: THe Fundamentals of Better Kool Aid

ten to take DIR-K but fail to pass

six to take DIR-K and pass, of which:

two will provide Ingredient Assambly topside
two will act as Safety Assistant Mixers; and

two who will actually mix the batch, take pictures, and set up a website about the great mixing they just did

:wink:

H2Andy:

two who will actually mix the batch, take pictures, and set up a website about the great mixing they just did

Will those 6 be a "pass pass" or a provisional pass?
Please pass the coo-laid.

H2Andy:

which ones go out and profess that all other methods of mixing are inferior?

cmalinowski:
which ones go out and profess that all other methods of mixing are inferior?

It is the 10 who did not pass who will spread the word and warn others of the perils of inferior mixing!!

Seriously, I have nothing but good things to say about the DIR people I have encounter. They have been the ones most willing to talk with me on the phone, private message, instant message, email, and meet up with me at the lake to help me become a better diver. I am new so there is so much for me to learn at this point and so many skills to master.

There are several DIR types that I can send a question to and receive a thoughtful reply that is helpful to me. It does not matter my question, they are always willing to help me.

I had a dive that did not go so well that I got in way over my head and it was a disaster from the moment my little group set fin in the water and almost got myself seriously hurt. It was the DIR crowd that reached out to me. They didn't flame me, but as I asked questions they helped me to understand many things that went wrong and ways that I could make sure those things did not go wrong in the future. It is the DIR crowd that has given resources to learn and grow as a diver. They have also given me some good safety issues to think about.

I am moving toward DIR, but still have and love my yellow split fins. And I love the flutter kick!! I can flutter in jets for a1.5 miles nonstop and in the splits I can go a couple miles. I am thikning of changing my screen name to Sassy Swimming Sister Silt.

Ben_ca:
Overboard discharge.... otherwise known as a P-valve

Even in your wetsuits huh? Wow, you people are fancy schmancy. Now you're going to tell me you buy matching wetsuits, and you pull a Japanese salaryman by getting your name embroidered in illegible cursive which is supposed to be Roman lettering...

(yes, I do feel a slight bit of remorse. I posted this thread simply to get information, and now look at me. I've joined the shamed in having a good-natured go at the kool-aid hippie van passengers... :shakehead
speaking of hippie van, anyone watched Little Miss Sunshine yet? Good flick.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom