Why is DIR controversial?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back on the thread...
Why DIR is so controversial ????
First, I come from the PADI school, OW and AOW. I am looking seriously at DIR because PADI hasn't answers my needs nor my questions.....

First: Formation is basic (very basic) / Training (I mean Dives because it's not training...) is..... ..... at the bottom of the pool OK, during open water dives it's on the ocean floor / Answering the questions is limited at follow the RDP and don't think too much about fast and slow tissues (My question was: why the surface interval can be shorter if you are at the RDP limit at great depth (ouah....130 feet but why am i wearing this BCD and this tank..... lol) compare to a dive with max bottom time at 40 feet..... the answer was: I don't know :huh: )

Second: What's gonna happening during a dive in a OOA....
1. I go on my knee on the ocean floor
2. I check where is my buddy
3. I check if the octo is in working condition... I hope so..for him !!!!
4. I grab my buddy and give him the octo ..... ouf, he's breathing....
5. I check my SPG and my depth gauge... ooops... at the bottom we are 160 feet (way out the RDP)
6. We go up slowly (NO MORE THAN THE SLOWEST BUBBLE, damn that's slow...)
7. Do a MANDATORY safety stop (it's different from the safety stop which is not a DECO stop) of at least 15 minutes air allowing... It's giving you time to pray...
8. Surface and seek medical attention :rofl3:

I am kidding (a little) but can the people that are not DIR and are serious divers tell me what they learned in PADI formation and what they learned by themselves...

So I hope DIR will give me the opportunity to fill the gaps and make me a better/safer diver.

At least in the DIR-F you are evaluated, you have a video monitoring and you have a real feedback (I hope) and with PADI, you have... OK you're (the group of 10 divers) pretty good, you're not scared to be underwater.

All the "bad" that I heard about DIR was from PADI instructor... "there is more than one way to do thing... they are strange people... They are spitting on PADI and others formations"
In fact, DIR seems to teach and explain why it's like that and not otherwise and maybe it's scaring some other agencies... :huh:

My 0.02

nice post, stefusa

DIR is controversial because it makes some people uncomfortable

otherwise (for those whom it does not make uncomfortable) it's not an issue

stefusa:
snip All the "bad" that I heard about DIR was from PADI instructor... "there is more than one way to do thing... they are strange people... They are spitting on PADI and others formations"
In fact, DIR seems to teach and explain why it's like that and not otherwise and maybe it's scaring some other agencies... :huh:

My 0.02

I see you have Martin S as a hero and that you are a freediver. I greatly respect the freediving community and I know Mandy Rae and Kirk so I'll give you a freebie with no ball busting. Given your location I would suggest that if you really want to know about DIR contact MHK (someone feel free to insert a link to his contact info. I can't find it).

nadwidny:
I see you have Martin S as a hero and that you are a freediver. I greatly respect the freediving community and I know Mandy Rae and Kirk so I'll give you a freebie with no ball busting. Given your location I would suggest that if you really want to know about DIR contact MHK (someone feel free to insert a link to his contact info. I can't find it).
You can contact Michael Kane (MHK on this board) by sending him a PM. Here is a link to his profile to make that easier.

http://www.scubaboard.com/member.php?u=7774

Also, here is a link to his contact info on the GUE website:

http://gue.com/Training/Instructors/kane.html

I really enjoyed his class.

Christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom